General

Should the public pay for the health conditions which are largely caused by poor health habits of a individual?

Created by:

5 Jul 2016 - General

Stroke, MI, Ischemic heart disease…Chronic disease are the rising bane of our modern society. While a small percentage of these conditions can be attributed hereditary or probabilistic elements. Some of the chronic diseases have a large lifestyle component to it which can often easily be controlled by an individual.

Given that a person actions has led to a certain disease condition and a person has knowingly not changed his/her lifestyle, do you think it is fair for the public to fund for their treatment? Do you agree with the tax on the healthy to fund the sick? What is the difference between this and an example of a person who becomes poor because of his/her sloth during his youth?

Well, I agree with the others. It is difficult to decipher which patients are deserving and which ones are not. It is frustrating when encountering patients who don't seem to put in effort to manage or improve their own health. I also notice that most of the patients that are not compliant to our instructions or medication are usually less educated and poorer. Upon further investigation, you'll find that perhaps they are unable to follow-through with your plan because it simply isn't...
 (Total 175 words)
Nobody wants to be ill. As you said, some of the chronic diseases have a large lifestyle component to it. The thing is, “large lifestyle component” is vague and is not clinically quantifiable. In research, whatever is not quantifiable, does not exist. Unless you have proven that a certain disease can be a hundred percent preventable by a certain quantifiable lifestyle pattern, then I dont think there is a way to do an evidence-based decision on your question. For the sake of argument, lets have ...
 (Total 211 words)
When one lives in country soaks its youths with the value of meritocracy and fears of welfarism, it is hard not to engender such thoughts. I had this thought because of the great differences in quality in life which occurs between the rich and poor in the world. Minus the wealth which has been inherited, I think a large part of a being poor has to do with the one’s hard work and motivation. Why is it that we choose to fund the treatment of health problems, but when the poor lacks housing, books ...
 (Total 103 words)
Hope you will not be our future Health Minister. What next? Down Syndrome not covered as it is the parents'' choice to conceive late? Colon cancer is a result of your excessive meat intake. Do you drink hot tea? Well too bad, your esophageal cancer is not covered. You chose to play soccer and hence your ACL tear is not covered. Only the rich can enjoy a life of sins, the poor need to pray they stay healthy. We are only human because we show compassion end empathy to each other. Who are ...
 (Total 99 words)
An individual may have a strict control over what he/she does but he/she will have only a certain degree of control over what happens in the society where he/she resides. One cannot easily change the habits and trends in the society where one lives. Point to remember is that a person will also contribute his share to the society, so for all the things in the society which you don't like since they are contributed by others, there may be several things contributed by you and not liked by othe...
 (Total 207 words)
This is a very interesting question. However, it is hard to differentiate the deserving ones (not by choice, strong role of genetics, too poor to afford healthy food, need to work shift work) from the undeserving. For example, families with genetic links may compound the problem by sharing unhealthy lifestyle habits. Another issue is the impact of socioeconomic factors on one's health. For example, families that are lower on the socioeconomic scale are less likely to be educated about their ...
 (Total 216 words)