General

Do you prescribe mucolytics/expectorants?

Created by:

5 Jul 2016 - General

It has been common practice for medical practitioners to prescribe symptom-relief medications, such as mucolytics and expectorants for productive cough. However, there is little amount of evidence to support this tradition. In fact, I cannot find an evidence-based guideline that recommends this form of treatment for productive/wet cough. (Except for COPD) In my own medical practice, I try my best to avoid prescribing these medications, unless patients request for it. If I have to, I usually prescribe N-acetylcysteine or Carbocysteine, but I emphasize that these medications may or may not work. A lot of them would still prefer to take something than nothing. As for expectorants, I only prescribe Guiafenesin and saline nebulization for selected pediatric patients. What is your local practice?

Hi Theekshana, thank you for the information. I was not aware that it's not popular practice in Sri Lanka. Despite the lack of substantial evidence, a lot of doctors in the Philippines, still opt to prescribe these medications. Personally, I think that there's probably a social pressure for doctors to prescribe something when patients consult. I remember one issue that went viral in social media about a doctor, who advised rest and hydration for systemic viral illness. Apparently, the pa...
 (Total 185 words)
Prescription of mucolytics and expectorants are not commonly practiced in my country, Sri Lanka, either. As Marinelle said, there's little evidence to support that the use of mucolytics/expectorants reduce the duration of illness in uncomplicated lower respiratory tract infections. Generally an oral bronchodilator like theophylline and a histamine receptor blocker along with an antibiotic (Yes, antibiotics are prescribed most of the time in Sri Lanka for all respiratory tract infections thou...
 (Total 107 words)