General
A quality slumber starts with falling asleep quickly

A quality slumber starts with falling asleep quickly

Shared by:

Getting the right amount of sleep is important for good health and well-being. While most people attempt to get the 7 to 8 hours of sleep recommended to recharge the body fully, it can be quite a challenge given the many distractions like food, the Internet, and even social media.

today.mims.com

5 Jul 2016 - General

Interesting link! Like you, I'm an insomniac too and have trouble falling asleep. I envy people who can fall asleep so easily once their head barely touches the pillow. Sometimes, I lie awake for an hour or two before I fall asleep, and I can very much relate to hearing myself thinking. I've already avoided any sort of caffeinated drink, turned off all light sources no matter how small, and tried to set a fixed sleeping time. It still isn’t working for me, and the insomnia has become w...
 (Total 130 words)
I call myself lucky when it comes to sleeping. I can sleep quite quickly once I find my most comfortable position for that night. Even with a toddler already, I may have been sleep deprived at some point, but I normally sleep quite quickly with her as I need to pretend that I'm asleep. What I want is to pretend sleeping so she goes to sleep as well but I end up sleeping for real and with my toddler still awake and sleep after I do. I usually advice my friends who find it difficult to sleep, ...
 (Total 114 words)
Hi Maria! Like you, I am also an insomniac and I have a difficult time adjusting my sleeping hours even if I am on leave from residency. Anyway, I’d like to share that based on research, environmental triggers such as core-body temperature changes and light-dark cycle are important factors in stimulating sleep. The core-body temperature actually regulates the circadian rhythm that signifies when we are ready to sleep. This is why after a warm bath, we experience an initial increase in temperatur...
 (Total 173 words)
Hi Maria, I use to be like you but since the senior years of my uni days I've made it a habit to go to bed by 11.30pm and wake up by 5-6am. I started out by constantly going to bed at 11.30pm regardless of whether or not I felt like sleeping. At 10 pm, I'll usually stop my work and just relax with a light read or some tv. Since then, even though there are times when I'm oncall and my routine is messed up I find I'm able to revert to this routine on a regular workday. I'm usu...
 (Total 161 words)
I don't know with you, but ever since College, I've become an insomniac. Staying up late, reading books, memorizing and doing laboratory work--sleep had been a scarce luxury for me ever since. Nowadays, even a complete work day of back-to-back patients isn’t enough to knock me down. I usually crave for rest after, so I sit down and take a snack just before I decide to leave the clinic and drive home. When I get home, you’d expect that I’d crash in bed, but I won’t. I’m suddenly okay and...
 (Total 229 words)