General

Juno has reached Jupiter

Created by:

5 Jul 2016 - General

In 1610 Galileo was able to turn a telescope towards Jupiter to view it. 4000 years later with the advancements of science and technology a spacecraft was made for the journey to Jupiter. After 5 years of travel over 2.8 billion kilometers the spacecraft Juno has finally reached Jupiter. NASA cheers at their success as they provide updates on Twitter and Facebook alike. Earlier they streamed a live press conference with the NASA team involved with the Jupiter mission. The main mission was to learn more about the largest planet in our solar system, Jupiter, on how it formed and how it works.

A question was raised on which instrument was the most important. The one being interviewed laughed a bit and said (paraphrasing) "There is no most important instrument. You will have my science team fight." Medically this sounded familiar. Like in the battle of the specialties, which is more important the heart or the brain and you would have the neurologists and cardiologists at each others throats. 

They were able to release a short video during the conference which is 3 minutes long. Turns out it was taken over a span of 17 days. :D

Link to the feed of Michael Slezak: https://www.theguardian.com/science/live/2016/jul/05/nasas-juno-spacecraft-arrives-at-jupiter-live

Link to a 30 second video to let you view Jupiter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjfQCTat-8s

Ooh I didn't know about the theory that Jupiter was the first planet. I should read up on that more. I skimmed over an article about Juno and found this part interesting "But the probe will not linger in the Jupiter system; Juno's handlers will command it to dive into Jupiter's thick atmosphere, in a suicidal maneuver designed to ensure that no Earth microbes contaminate any Jovian moons." It is good how they are keeping from disturbing the "natural habitat" of th...
 (Total 129 words)
Yes. This is definitely amazing news. "We're there. We're in orbit. We've conquered NASA." The Tweets sent by the mission are very witty and entertaining. They've accomplished something amazing---and what's next is for everyone to get to know this gigantic planet. Hopefully we’ll know more about the bands and the red spot. And if theories are true, then maybe they can prove that Jupiter was the first planet to be formed. Just imagine the mysteries we can uncover fro...
 (Total 121 words)
Oh no wait, sorry I've made a mistake. I used the distance google gave me as the distance between the Jupitor and Earth for my calculation(588 million), but as the article says the probe has traveled far more than that. 2.8 billion kilometers in 5 years means the speed of the probe has been close to 65000km/h!!! Yes you read right, sixty four thousand kilometers in the in a hour! That is even more astonishing! I remember the game asteroids. I used to love it! The space might be a little les...
 (Total 110 words)
Wow! Thank you for making that calculation. 12000 kilometers per hour! Factoring in as well it having to maneuver its way through all the space junk. That is truly spectacular indeed. Anyone ever play that video game Asteroids? The said scenario let that game pop in my head and I am trying to imagine playing it in “hyper speed”. I am amazed with just the mere upgrade from using 5 inch floppy drives to using a cloud to transfer data. Look at this great advancement. Truly truly fascinating. I'...
 (Total 121 words)
From the times when a planet was a mere dot on a telescope to getting a space probe to orbit the largest planet of the solar system, the advancement of technology is just amazing! I couldn't help but do a simple math to see how fast the Juno probe was. The probe has traveled at an average velocity of 0.28 million kilometers per day. That is roughly 12000 km/h! Across all the space junk and the asteroid with solar powered jet propellers while maintaining its course and communications with the...
 (Total 101 words)
I agree with you on how small this makes us feel. It is discoveries like these that make me realize on how much more there is to know. Our minds should always remain hungry for knowledge. We should thirst to learn more things about our world and beyond. The red spot on Jupiter alone is two times bigger than our planet! Though it seemingly uninhabitable I wouldn't turn down the possibility that there are some life forms present somewhere out there. Who knows they may just find something on Ju...
 (Total 111 words)
Yes cannot wait to see what they find in Jupiter, the planet on anabolic steroid. I just heard over news, you can gather very solid in the galaxy, put them into one ball and multiply it by 2 and yet it is smaller than the size of Jupiter. Who knows, we may find kind friendly aliens who thrive under noxious gas and constant raging storm. Or maybe, we discover how this giant planet was formed 4 billion years ago and lead to opening of new scientific frontier. The marvel of the universe constantly ...
 (Total 101 words)