General

Agree to P.R.I.C.E. or Not?

Created by:

26 Aug 2017 - General

The P.R.I.C.E. (protect, rest, ice, compression, and elevation) has long been the standard in the management of acute sports injury and trauma. There are new interesting updates that dispute the effectivity of the famed protocol in soft tissue healing. New studies have shown that it promotes delay instead of accelerating tissue repair. In the Philippine Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine, there is now debate as to whether icing is helpful or harmful to recovery. For the MIMS community, would you still prescribe the P.R.I.C.E. protocol despite the new studies that dispute its use?

Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing your thoughts. There is no question about the effect of applying ice compress to relieve pain as the sensation of cold effectively blocks out pain signal at the spinal cord level (popularly known as the gate control theory). However, recent studies show that ice may impair healing of injured tissues. Contrary to popular belief, cold sensation induces vasodilation and increase...
 (Total 84 words)