General
Severe shortage of nurses could lead to more patient deaths, study reveals

Severe shortage of nurses could lead to more patient deaths, study reveals

Shared by:

Recently, hospitals globally are facing an impending shortage of qualified nurses—causing them to compromise care towards patients due to various causes; such as, delay in delivering medications or documenting patient notes.

today.mims.com

30 Aug 2017 - General

Chih Chiang Nieh I really appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Healthcare workers are indeed overworked and underpaid. Moreover, there are too much documentation requirements needed for admission. The amount of paperwork we are buried in on top of the need to manage our patients meticulously and ethically is really impossible to cope with. The more obvious way is to lessen and make the documentation requirem...
 (Total 69 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan Thank you for sharing your first-hand experience about the shortage of nurses. How do you cope with the needs of patients amidst the glaring limitation? I notice that even private institutions do not employ the ideal number of nurses in their wards. Fatigue definitely plays a factor in committing errors; thus, understaffed hospitals should not compromise patents safety by employing adequate ...
 (Total 67 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Yes, 40 percent mortality is a terrifying number and I agree that we should look into other factors too such as patient management, rate of nosocomial infection, etc. It would be hard to pinpoint that shortage of staff is the common cause as there are a possible myriad of factors leading to increased mortality. However, it would be best if we address the shortag...
 (Total 88 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for updating us on the typo error. A ration of one nurse to 20 patients is still ridiculous to consider. We have to really consider quality medical service and the government must focus on this aspect since reduced morbidity and mortality are indicators of a nation's growth. The good news is that our current administration is doing the necessary steps to augment healthcare staff ...
 (Total 86 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for sharing your sentiments about the topic. It is unbelievable that one nurse was left to attend to 80 number of patients in one duty. Too much workload for the nurses will obviously lead to more chances of error. We sure wish that more government positions for healthcare professionals will be opened to allow us to continue providing quality medical service. I agree that the governm...
 (Total 90 words)