General
Miss a dose?—“Smart” pill boxes do not completely improve patient outcomes. Here’s why.

Miss a dose?—“Smart” pill boxes do not completely improve patient outcomes. Here’s why.

Shared by:

Internet-connected "smart" pill boxes does not show a positive effect, as far as improving medication adherence, a study shows. The results indicate non-adherence is a multi-factorial—and complex—issue that warrants in-depth investigation of the underlying psychological and behavioural factors.

today.mims.com

30 Aug 2017 - General

Chih Chiang Nieh Thank you for sharing more insight. You are right. "Smart" technology cannot give patients one thing they really need - emotional support. The comfort of human touch, presence, and hug are things that inexplicably facilitate healing of a patient. We have to stop relying on technology for very simple things as it deprives us of mental exercise. Continuous cognitive input keeps a brain s...
 (Total 67 words)
Chih Chiang Nieh Thank you for your comment too. We are slowly being taken over by machines in terms of performing daily functions or tasks. What happened to using planners old school and scribbling down our tasks? This helps in better retention because it engages more senses. Artificial intelligence is made by humans and cannot ever supplant the higher cortical functions such as executive functioning , namely m...
 (Total 92 words)
Jemelyn Mae Sodusta Thank you for sharing your insights. It seems that everyone in this page so far agrees that the smart pill box is a waste of money. Adults who need to take medications have to act like one and do not need another person (as long as patient is independent of course) to constantly remind him/her of taking medicines. Part of being a responsible patient is the willingness to comply with regular me...
 (Total 79 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you 100 percent that this smart pillbox will make our brains even lazier than it is currently. Simple cognitive function should be automatic amongst us and the simple responsibility of taking medicines on time does not warrant advanced technology. It does not even warrant the assistance of another person when one is fully independent and coherent. I...
 (Total 74 words)