General

Weird stuff we see in the Operating Theater..

Created by:

7 Jul 2016 - General

Weird stuff happen in the operating theater. Some incidents become tea time stories for the day and we just forget them, but some things strike us hard and remain in our minds for a very long time. This is one such event that I came across recently.

Last month we took a 6 year old child in for excision of what appeared to be a vaginal granuloma under general anesthesia. The child was being treated for nearly 2 years for an offensive vaginal discharge. During the surgery, the piece of tissue that we initially thought was a granuloma turned out to be a string of granulation tissue extending deep into the vagina so we went on and did a vaginal exploration. Guess what we found. The head of a rubber suction dart! Which probably had been stuck there for 2 years. There were signs of damage to the hymen so we referred her to the Judicial medical officer, but whether the child put it in the vagina or she was abused, we still don't know. 

What is the weirdest thing you have experienced working in a theater/surgical unit?

I was just reading Dr. Xie's post and I know of a similar incident which I felt like sharing. A friend of mine who worked in this particular hospital told me this story. Patients xray revealed a bottle of wine in his rectum. And what is more surprising is, he managed to drive all the way to hospital with that bottle of wine in him. I can't imagine how he managed driving and how did the bottle get in their. :) Hello Dr. Abayawickrama, I have just read your reply and I appreciate it. I t...
 (Total 130 words)
Hi Ziwei, thank you for sharing your experience. That's unbelievable and hilarious at the same time. Slipping and falling on a bottle and then it going all the way into the rectum, who was the guy trying to fool! I have seen several images of xrays on the internet with bottles stuck in the pelvis. I always thought they were fake solely because I couldn't understand why someone would want to put one in their anus. But after hearing your story anything could be possible. Even that popular ...
 (Total 103 words)
I have seen an anterior resection for glass bottle in the rectum. It must have been 6-7 years ago. It was pretty straight forward as we were given the diagnosis and x-ray by the A and E physician. However it must have befuddled the A and E physician. This guy came complaining of rectal pain with PR bleeding. The doctor who did the proctoscope saw some foreign object in situ and found the glass bottle in an x-ray. The patient admitted to it but gave a strange tall tale. He claimed to have slipped...
 (Total 125 words)
Hello Kathlene, well the child had been investigated with colposcopies, vaginal swab cultures and microscopy at several hospitals but a cause hadn't been found. The discharge was seen on and off and had responded to antibiotics so the parents had been reassured by doctors saying it was a benign condition. She was brought to the hospital by her mother and father, and they did seem to care about the child. Upon questioning her mother revealed that in the past she had once tried to put a chalk ...
 (Total 166 words)
Hi Maria, thank you for sharing your story. I can imagine how shocked you would have been. Reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me as well. While I was working in an infectious diseases hospital, once a patient was transferred to the isolation ward who was a prisoner guilty of multiple homicides. There had been a riot in the prison and the guy had been shot in the head. A craniotomy had been done and the wound had become MRSA positive. The patient was transferred past midnight guarded ...
 (Total 133 words)
Oh dear! It took nearly two years to have the excision done as well. I was wondering what happened before that. When the patient came in to complain with an offensive vaginal discharge, was she accompanied by parents or any other adult? I was just asking as one of them should know the real history or maybe the child can tell. Children don't lie as far as I know. As for me, as I am just starting in Theatre, I haven't experienced weird stuff yet. And besides, I assist in Cataract surgeries...
 (Total 109 words)
Oh my... what an absurd finding. I feel for the child. I hope she wasn't abused but all the same, I feel awful that she isn't being cared for properly that something like that was allowed to happen. Anyway, I don't work in a hospital and almost nothing weird happen in the dental office--just mostly I encounter weird patients. One time a patient just walked in and as he was introducing himself (even before he gave me his chief complaint), he tells me: "So I just got out of prison...
 (Total 137 words)