General

Right Nutrition for the Soccer Fans!!

Created by:

7 Jul 2016 - General

With the Euro 2016 craze now, I believe almost everyone is hoping and placing their bets on their favorite team.

Oh well, now it’s already the semi-finals and we are definitely exhilarated to know who will be bringing the golden

cup back home with pride! Some may have stayed up late to watch the game be it at home or at the bar with

friends. We know that a night of sleep deprivation affects your brain and to face the battle to stay awake and

energized at work, home or even in school can be rather challenging.

Worry not! Here are 5 useful tips that might help you to eliminate this first world problem!

• Eat the right nutrition mix

Remember, carbs come in fruits and veggies as well as grains. And you can get protein from meat, dairy,

fish, eggs and beans (like soy or pinto). The perfect lunch might be veggies with fish (mmm, nicoise salad,

anyone?), and the best snack an apple with a little cheese.

• Switch from venti to smaller caffeine doses

Research suggests that small, frequent doses of caffeine—like tea breaks, caffeinated mints, and even

chocolate—do a better job of keeping your brain from feeling fatigued than jitter-inducing java. Of course,

if you have got the willpower and patience, you could also just drink half-cups of coffee more frequently

• Get outside—even if it is cloudy

Getting 10 to 15 minutes of sun each day, and a layer of sunscreen if you are getting more. Even better,

you get away from the screens, voicemails, and low-level humming of the office.

• Take a Nap

Take a nap as short as 10 minutes can benefit you, as your brain quickly moves into slow-wave sleep. Do note

sleeping longer than about 40 or 45 minutes, may make you feel groggy when you wake up.

• Stimulate your senses

Turn on as many lights as you can. If you are not a position to control the lights, then position yourself as

close to a light source as possible. You may also want to suck on a mint or chew gum to keep your mouth

alert. Lastly, Splash cold or warm water on your face might just help!

In my country, the euro games starts in the most ungodly time. It was 3am when both semis kicked off! It is almost tantamount to doing night calls in the hospital. I suggest those who want to survive well during "difficult " times like these to sign up for housemanship in Singapore government hospital. During my time as a houseman, I do not sleep for up to 48 hours. A month of housemanship will ensure you feel energized after watching a 3am live telecast of the Euro semi finals. To up...
 (Total 123 words)
With the Euro cup coming to the end, I think this post came a bit too late. Many fans would have already suffered from the effects of the poor health habits. I don’t think this is just a first world problem. I have many friends and acquaintances whom are from developing countries who suffer from the same problem. Another point I thought was strange, was the emphasis on the ability to stay awake during the match. This seems strange to me, because if one is a fan, he/she wouldn’t need much to stay...
 (Total 103 words)