General

Receiving gifts from patients

Created by:

8 Jul 2016 - General

Have you seen this viral post in social media lately? What do you think about this Agency Nurse who was reported to have receive millions of dollars worth of gifts from her patient? As a Filipino, there is a part of me that says, I am proud being a Filipino because this has just showed on how we look after our patients but then as healthcare professionals,  do you think we have to refuse everything even if we know that patients are just showing gratitude?

Please see link below:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/reclusive-billionaire-spent-20-years-3822025

"healthcare practitioners should be motivated by their compassion and not whatever compensation may be received"- well said! Yes I agree with that completely. I understand the concept of gift giving is for the patient to show gratitude but it is discouraged by institutions because it may cause favouritism and push health care professionals to prioritize these patients over others. Getting a house or car is definitely much but getting many small gifts may just fall in the same category....
 (Total 214 words)
I receive a lot of food, small gifts (from trips) and Christmas gifts from patients. Just yesterday I was working on a surgical case that was going long and the aunt excused herself. By the time she got back, we were done with the surgery and she was holding bags of food. It was 7pm and definitely time for dinner, so she thought to have food ready and it's really sweet. I feel special and cared for when patients worry about me getting hungry. When I receive patients in my small-window lunch ...
 (Total 179 words)
I would say, simple tokens of gratitude from patients such as a box of chocolate maybe alright. But, receiving something very expensive such as a house may be a different story. I agree with Dr. Xie, we really don't know the whole story behind that article and yes, I have just come to realized after all the points/questions you've raised in your comment. Thank you for the enlightenment as well, that mirror is not so credible. At the end of the day, whether we receive gifts or not, all th...
 (Total 108 words)
I think whether that whether Mirror sensationalizes news or lack of information in the article is not really important. This is because the author appears to be using the article only as a starting point to discuss if we need to refuse everything even if we know that patients are just showing gratitude? I think the most important thing is to know your institution policy about it. You do not have to refuse all gifts from patients. In places where I practice, senior physicians commonly accept the ...
 (Total 125 words)
The first point of contention will be, is the patient mentally competent to draw up a will. She died at 105 years old and shut herself from all her relatives for 20 over years. It is not normal human behaviour. The heiress must have showered the nurse with millions of dollars in gift over the years. Missing in the article are informations such as reason for her admission into a hospital for 20 years, her mental condition and accounts from her relatives. If a patient showers you with gifts worth...
 (Total 204 words)