General
A cancer drugmaker has put its trial on hold after 2 patients died last week

A cancer drugmaker has put its trial on hold after 2 patients died last week

Shared by:

Two patients in the US died last week in a leukaemia drug trial, despite being under close medical supervision. The trial has been put on hold following the news, which is devastating for the families involved, but also a blow for scientists...

www.sciencealert.com

10 Jul 2016 - General

It's possible that they put the trial on hold to gather more information regarding the safety of the treatment and study how the drugs involved could interact with each other. I agree that it is indeed a promising treatment, however, in clinical trials, the safety of a certain treatment could have more weight over its efficacy. Probably a 3 out of 20 mortality rate is too high for a trial in its early stages. Hopefully, they consider the welfare of the other subjects too, in reference to Dr...
 (Total 148 words)
Yeah according to several other articles I referred to regarding this, the trial that has been put on hold is in stage 2. Fludarabine used as a cytotoxic agent in the preconditioning stage before genetically modified T cells are introduced has already shown to have neurotoxic side effects. The article says that flubarabine was given to participants in addition to cytoxan, so I wonder if it means that they were given 2 chemotherapeutic agents simultaneously to boost and shorten the time it takes ...
 (Total 124 words)
I completely agree with you the need to continue the trial. It may sound to people on the outside that researchers are using people as just plain guinea pigs/lab rats. From what I remember in my studies in clinical research regarding the testing of such agents is that when the agent can prove a possible promising outcome to patients with incurable diseases or those in the difficult to save stage of their disease they can be administered to them. Though that is in regards to drugs that have not y...
 (Total 129 words)
Yeah good point. Killing cells is what chemotherapeutic agents are meant to do, and while doing their job, unintended damage and death of healthy somatic cells is inevitable. We are left with those drugs as our last resort when tumours are of high-grade and cannot completely be removed with other cancer treatment modalities like surgery and radiotherapy. I don't know how ethical that would be and it can be argued that every life maters, but in my opinion we have to accept the loss of a few l...
 (Total 102 words)
Thank you clinical researchers for all your efforts! I truly hope that they do not shut down this great advancement. Chemotherapeutic drugs are toxic. They were designed that way as they can are meant to kill cancer. If we can avoid giving these drugs to our patients we would do so. Going through the article they stated that at the beginning of the trial they began using only Cyotaxan but later used a combination with Fludarabine. This they are presuming to be the cause of the adverse effect of ...
 (Total 123 words)
I saw a news article today that said a new chemotherapy drug that is in the stage of clinical trials, have been put on hold after 2 patients have allegedly died due to side effects of the treatment. T cell therapy, a new advance in immunotherapy in the fight against cancer, has shown promising results with higher potency and efficacy compared to conventional chemotherapy. Out of the 20 patients who were enrolled in the trial, a total of 3 have died according to the article. That in numbers is a ...
 (Total 126 words)