General

Your opinion on tonsillectomy

Created by:

10 Jul 2016 - General

A relative of mine has been having recurrent tonsillitis, with episodes about 2-3 months apart. She has been receiving antibiotics every time, to the point that she already has to take stronger antibiotics, and is somewhat nervous about taking these too frequently. I’ve asked a number of physicians and they have varying opinions. Some recommend tonsillectomy, while others do not. When do you think a tonsillectomy may be considered beneficial? Is it always beneficial to the patient? I’ve heard some doctors say that when the tonsils get removed, the patient may even be more prone to throat infections. Is this true? It would be very helpful to hear out your opinions regarding this issue.

Thank you all for your comments! The results she previously showed were not positive for Group B Strep; lab culture showed Staphylococcus as the culprit. Aside from these tonsillitis episodes, she is a healthy adult. She usually consults a GP and has only been to an ENT once. Thank you also for mentioning possible complications like peritonsillar abscess, but I think she has not encountered this yet. I think rheumatic heart disease and glomerulonephritis are not threats for her at this time as t...
 (Total 124 words)
I would also recommend tonsillectomy given the natural course of her disease (chronic + recurrent). First, it's not a good idea to always be (or almost always) in the course of antibiotics. If she is prescribed stronger antibiotic there is a chance that upon culture her throat probably contain the more dangerous Group A Strep and risking her to as said by other colleagues, among other rheumatic heart disease. In this case I think benefit outweigh the risk of surgery. Also, while tonsils are ...
 (Total 125 words)
Was she diagnosed with definitely B-haemolytic Group A strep tonsilitis. If she is, she needs tonsillectomy.This is because her tonsil is like a 5-star hotel for the toxin producing bacteria. However there is a 1% risk of death from general anaesthesia. If she believes that she has no issue with having tonsiillitis 4-6 times a year and will not want to go for tonsillectomy, it is fine. However she needs to understand this will not end and one of the day she may develop peritonsillar abscess and...
 (Total 169 words)
Well, in my opinion, tonsillectomy is beneficial especially when the infections are often recurring in a year. We all know that recurrent throat infections can increase the risk of having rheumatic heart disease, it blocks the the airway and may lead to sleep apnea and of course, who would want to suffer tonsillitis frequently? There are guidelines on indications on tonsillectomy, and I say if the tonsils reach a grade 4, that is definitely an indication. Although we all know too that tonsils ar...
 (Total 123 words)