General

What top three sites are most helpful in your career as a medical or health professional?

Created by:

11 Jul 2016 - General

There are thousands of sites nowadays that offer medical and health information. Whether for disease information, prescribing information or other types of health/ medical info, these sites prove to be useful especially when dealing with particular patient cases or situations. Though there are a number of legitimate medical sites that offer valid, helpful medical information, they vary according to how the information is presented and how concise or descriptive the information can be. Some sites also prove to be easier to navigate than others. Throughout your career as a medical or health professional, which top three websites are your most trusted when it comes to looking up medical information?

Hi Ms. Kathleen! Yes, Wikipedia isn't always a reliable source especially as a cited reference, especially because its a wiki and anyone can edit any entry there. However, as Dr Jennifer stated, most of the medical entries there give some good information and are backed up by references. So I think Wikipedia can be used at times when there’s a need to refresh our memory on a topic or when we are trying to read up and understand a certain topic. It has been helpful for me at times when I get ...
 (Total 102 words)
As few of you have mentioned Wikipedia, I just wanted to share what our tutor told us while we were doing our Nurses' Programme here in UK. As educators and who speacializes in research(maybe), they have mentioned to us or has recommended not to use Wikipedia as our source while we do our essays/research as this website is not reliable. Apparently, the authors are not really professionals in the field (something like that). So, ever since I haven't used Wikipedia for medical information....
 (Total 102 words)
Thank you all for sharing these sites; its great to hear some familiar ones and new sites as well! I frequently use Medscape, CDC and Pubmed too! They are reliable sites for pathophysio, drugs, and scientific studies. MIMS is of couorse very useful especially when checking local availability and price range for particular drugs. Thanks also for mentioning other sites like American Physician and Frontiers, I will be sure to add these to my list of sites when looking up medical information. Dermne...
 (Total 106 words)
Hi! There are plenty of websites that I use to update my knowledge or to quickly refresh my memory. I use Pubmed in researching for current data that is useful for clinical practice. It’s nice because you can view a lot of free abstracts and free PMC articles. I also like using Uptodate. I find it useful because its like an updated encyclopedia of evidence-based treatment for a wide range of conditions. It also gives you a good review of pathophysiology, risk factors and epidemiologic data. It i...
 (Total 128 words)
I don't think I can pick just 3 sites. But I rely on MIMs plenty for drug related info. Uptodate on general topics ( it covers everything from pathophysiology, epidemiology, disease, complication and management). However it should be noted that uptodate should not be used as a guideline since each topic is written by only one person and not a concensus, albeit sourced are cited. Lastly, I'll include american family physician for management of most disease since their articles are based ...
 (Total 85 words)
In no particular order: Medscape, Wikipedia and Drugs. The third one especially I find very useful. There are many drugs out there and especially when a patient comes in with a full length of medications I like to double check what I know about drug interactions to make sure that what I prescribe is safe for my patient. Sometimes I like to see in black and white what my brain knows already just for reassurance. I guess that is part of my "OCD"-like-ness. Medscape and Wikipedia is to re...
 (Total 141 words)
The 3 sites I cannot do without will be pubmed. MIMS and medscape. Pubmed is absolutely necessary to search for latest guideline and journal reviews. I usually search on a topic i am not certain and read the known guideline, cochrane reviews or meta-analysis. MIMS is indisposable when it comes to prescription detail. There are no other sites that gives such full and comprehensive detail on all drugs you can find. Medscape has got CME events that is recognised by the health professional regulator...
 (Total 174 words)
Thanks for sharing these, Dr. Theekshana! I myself use Medscape too; I find their articles very useful and well referenced, from pathophysiology to medical procedures! Uptodate isn’t so popular with me, though I checked it out because you mentioned it, and it looks like a sound source of information. I’ll surely list it down as one of the sites I’ll check out the next time I need medical info. I also use wikipedia sometimes, though not as a primary reference but just for an additional way for me...
 (Total 131 words)
Medscape, uptodate and wikipedia. I use these sites on a daily basis. All three of these sites have mobile applications so it's much easier to look up something on the go without having to sit in front of a computer. Medscape gives a general overview of diseases which include their pathophysiology, clinical presentation and management. It is good to brush up mymemory on things that I don't remember. Uptodate is my main source of information when it comes to academic work like preparing c...
 (Total 144 words)