General
Social Media making waves on Healthcare

Social Media making waves on Healthcare

Shared by:

Social media, has revolutionised how we communicate as a society by refining how we share information. Like a perfect double-edged sword, social media has both positive and negative implications for the healthcare industry as a whole.

today.mims.com

11 Jul 2016 - General

Oh sorry, I haven’t come across the previous discussion. Yes, I do hope such discussions can be linked somehow. Anyway, glad to have heard all of your opinions and yes, I do agree that personal and professional lives should be kept separate, especially on social media where just a single incriminating photo or comment can affect the trust between a patient and a doctor. I’ve sent years in the academe as a faculty and this has also been somewhat of an issue between students and teachers (though o...
 (Total 150 words)
Yes. I mean, I am not really the ranting type of person and despite my blogging existence, my social media persona is really very superficial (heavily filtered and edited), so I'd rather keep the random patients away from my Facebook where they can read my comments and even comments of other people. Creating a FB page is helpful. When patients say can I message you on FB, I say: "Please send me a message on the page" and they can send me images there too if they need to, like xrays...
 (Total 91 words)
Oh I like that idea of making an FB page for patients to get in touch. This will avoid the awkward moments when your patient asks if they can add you on facebook and here you are trying to find a way to say no the nicest way. Personal and professional lives need to be separated in my opinion. It is a personal choice to add patients but that comes with consequences like the exposure of everything about you from outings with friends and family etc. Every time you post you start to fear on whether ...
 (Total 148 words)
Yes. This has been discussed recently. And basically for me, it really depends on personal preference. I have a number of dentist friends who I see are friends with their patients on Facebook—that’s their decision. And if they do not wish to put a boundary between their personal and professional life, then its’ their responsibility and perhaps they have things under control. I, personally, am not very strict with this because I have several friends who are on my Instagram and Facebook, but I d...
 (Total 172 words)
We have discussed this topic a couple of times earlier. Professional and personal lives intertwining on social media may have ghastly effects especially in the medical sector. Typically a flamboyant engineer or a businessman who entertains everyone in all possible ways and has tremendous social media presence is seen as a successful icon. A doctor whose life is similarly laid bare on the social media may not be seen in the same light. Pharma representatives, patient's relatives and patients ...
 (Total 182 words)
We can all agree that social media is now an integral part of our existence. Status updates, selfies, food and travel photos all sort of help with our need for self-expression and interaction with our friends and family. This being the case, social media sometimes makes it difficult to distinguish the very fine line between personal and professional life. This article talks about the pros and cons of social media being used by health care professionals, and poses questions regarding the limits o...
 (Total 120 words)