General

How common is Gastrooesophageal Reflux Disease??

Created by:

11 Jul 2016 - General

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is due to reflux of acidic gastric contents going into the oesophageal, causing the symptoms and injury to the oesophagus mucosa. Heartburn  is usually decribed of having midline retrosternal buring sensation, can possibly radiate to up the throat, and sometime to intrascapular region. Mild symtopms usually relieved in a short time of ingetsion of antacids or milk. The other symptoms of Gastroesophageal reflux disease can be regurgitation, dysphagia, water brash. Treatment option for GERD can be using medication like proton pump inhibitor, H2 blocker, antacid, and lifestyle intervention. How common is GERD?? I believe this is 1 of the most common medical condition that we encounter, with  the highest incidence of heartburn at 48% to 79% in pregnant women. Any comment or insight in this common medical scenario that we encounter ??

Hi Lianne, yes it is unsurprisingly common. Hope your GERD is intermittent and mild form,. Lifestyle modification like dietary changes and weight loss are very important. I believe all the proton pump inhibitor (PPI) are the same; hence any of them are good enough for patients with Gastroesophageal reflux disease. And we don’t usually empirically treat patient with GERD with triple therapy for eradication of H.Pylori, unless Clo-test was positive. Double up the dose of PPI , like BD dosing dose...
 (Total 111 words)
Yes, I definitely believe that GERD is very common. I myself suffer from the disease too, as well as my mom and about five other friends and colleagues. I’ve already had my fair share of PPI’s, and always keep H2- blockers and antacids handy in my bag. As for my insights, I think after a regimen of PPI’s and antibiotics (to eradicate H. Pylori that may be present as well), the best route is a lifestyle change. So far, I’ve quit my coffee habit (after years of being unable to go without it), avoi...
 (Total 140 words)
Hi! In the industrialized setting, gastroesophageal reflux disease is really fairly common. In a way, I also think that this is overdiagnosed in the emergency room. When I was a general surgery resident, I see a lot of patients with cholecystitis that are often diagnosed and treated as GERD. When symptoms are unrelieved by standard therapies such as PPIs and antacids etc, ultrasound tests would be done and a lot of these patients actually have gallstone disease. Also, during my clerkship and int...
 (Total 117 words)
Yes, Gastroesophageal reflux disease is certainly very common all around the world. Both Gastroesophageal reflux disease and gastritis are the 2 different entities, but most of the time both do respond to the similar treatment regimen. The symptoms of gastritis are epigastric discomfort, epigastric burning pain, postprandial fullness, or nausea. Sometime the symptoms, can be a bit vague and similar with Gastroesophageal reflux disease !!! I agree that sometime the presentation of GERD can mimic...
 (Total 111 words)
GERD is very common in my country. There's a bit of confusion among physicians between gastritis and Gastrooesophageal reflux disease. Gastritis by definition is the inflammation of the gastric mucosa whereas in GORD the acid reflux causes inflammation of the esophageal lining as well. But clinically there's a fine line between these two disease entities. As a practice in my previous hospital, we gave the diagnosis as "Gastrooesophageal reflux disease" in the discharge summary...
 (Total 133 words)
I had GERD since I was in college, and I still have it until now. I think people who are leading a stressful life ( stress could lead to more gastric production), unhealthy lifestyle and of course skipping meals can lead to GERD. With pregnant women, it is very very common because of the upward displacement of the diaphragm due to the enlarging uterus and as well as pressing on the stomach thus pushing the acid upwards. A gastroenterologist also made a comment that people who usually gets GERD o...
 (Total 124 words)