General
First womb transplant recipient who successfully gave birth hopes to inspire others

First womb transplant recipient who successfully gave birth hopes to inspire others

Shared by:

Swedish Malin Stenberg holds the distinction of being the first woman to receive a womb transplant and to successfully deliver a baby from the donated organ. She now wants to give hope to women like her who were born without a womb by sharing her story.

today.mims.com

12 Jul 2016 - General

Update on Lindsey, the first woman in the US to receive a womb transplant, complications occurred few months after and her uterus had to be removed. According to Cleveland Clinic: "Preliminary results suggest that the complication was due to an infection caused by an organism that is commonly found in a woman’s reproductive system. The infection appears to have compromised the blood supply to the uterus, causing the need for its removal. There is an ongoing review of all the data and the te...
 (Total 113 words)
Firstly, several babies have been born after their maternal grandmother acted as surrogate so any baby certainly won't be the first to be born from the same womb as its' mother. Secondly, absolutely fine if doctors can carry out these transplants and produce healthy babies which they surgically extract at the end of pregnancy as long as not one penny of money needed for life saving treatment is denied in order to fund what is ultimately just a life enhancing procedure. Why do we find it ...
 (Total 122 words)
This is really of much debate. What is the complication rate of infant born in a transplanted uterus? are they at a higher risk of perinatal asphyxia, abruptio placentae? How about a child who suffered severe cerebral palsy due to issues with transplanted uterus? To whom do we own the duty of care to when we do a uterus transplant with an intention of conception and delivery? The mother, the transgender mother or the child? the lack of date on safety of babies born in transplanted uterus render...
 (Total 129 words)
I actually am surprised that the donor is 61 years old, with a healthy uterus as fit as a middle aged, child bearing woman. It's not that I have anything against it, knowing that with age comes different reproductive concerns-- such as myoma, cervical CA, etc. Now, the question remains: HOW ETHICAL IS UTERINE TRANSPLANT? In our country, IVF is only considered to be ethical if it is for a non- bearing couple that had reproductive issues on either side. Which means, lesbian couples and even at...
 (Total 178 words)
Upon reading this article made me nod my head, just like WOW! As in wow and simply amazing! What an inspiration! Research and innovation can really give hope to the hopeless, give life to the dead either. This story should really be spread to each and everyone for the good news to be heard. I was thinking that giving this into light this 2017 for the set of people with condition needs a lot of cautiousness when it comes to their health. They need to be holistically be fit to be able for this pro...
 (Total 174 words)
Uterus transplantation is seem like will be another breakthrough in the medical world. This will be a great news for a lot of women without a uterus (for some reasons), and wish to get pregnant and carry a child. Such a transplantation is still in the early infancy stage. The first case of a woman are able to deliver a baby from a transplanted uterus, which was donated by a 61-year-old friend, has given a great hope that such transplantation, and post-transplantation anti-rejection regimen is f...
 (Total 132 words)
"‘technically possible’ for men to carry and give birth."--- we have stepped in way into the future. Remember that movie with Danny Devito and Arnold Schwarzeneger called “Junior” and Arnold carried a pregnancy to term? This article although only mentioned the future possibility of this but it is now a possibility. Stentberg, the first womb transplant patient, wanted to keep it a secret first but decided to share this to give hope to other women who want to have children as well. Now I...
 (Total 124 words)
It is indeed a very significant surgical achievement to have an organ like the uterus transplanted and return back to its natural function. It must be a great feeling for the patient to be a mother when she had been told for years together that motherhood was an unachievable dream for her. I want to bring about some other aspects of this story. While this surgery is indeed a breakthrough, it must be noted that very few such surgeries have been carried about successfully in the world. Also the c...
 (Total 238 words)
This represents a major breakthrough for women born with mullerian agenesis. Although not a lifesaving procedure, it can mean a great difference in the quality of life of these women as well as their families. Despite of all the positive impact of this procedure, there are still a lot to be proven if this procedure is necessary. A lot of questions come into mind when it comes to this procedure. Will the mother still take immunosuppressants to maintain pregnancy? What are its effects on the fetus...
 (Total 151 words)