General
Allergies and infections that can be transmitted through kissing

Allergies and infections that can be transmitted through kissing

Shared by:

Recent news reports told the story of a girl who died after kissing her boyfriend who just ate peanut butter.

today.mims.com

12 Jul 2016 - General

@Eileen: I always make it clear that I am a doctor, I am here to care for their health care needs, we have a doctor-patient relationship here that there no malice, everything is kept confidential and it for their benefit. As Ziwei said, it would be best to excuse other people from the room such as family and friends and even other health care staff to remove the factors of feeling embarrassed and giving the patient the freedom to talk. Establishing rapport is important and showing your sincerity...
 (Total 112 words)
That was literally a kiss of death, which tasted like peanut butter. Someone I know had various sorts of allergies, she can't eat seafood, oats, eggs, walnut, she's even allergic to dust and other stuff that I am actually just guessing because she has too many that I can't remember all too well. She even had an episode of urticaria while holding a steel chart, and once when she tried to eat on a fast food. She brings an epi pen all the time, meds, along with hypoallergenic clean and ...
 (Total 135 words)
That was literally a kiss of death, which tasted like peanut butter. Someone I know had various sorts of allergies, she can't eat seafood, oats, eggs, walnut, she's even allergic to dust and other stuff that I am actually just guessing because she has too many that I can't remember all too well. She even had an episode of urticaria while holding a steel chart, and once when she tried to eat on a fast food. She brings an epi pen all the time, meds, along with hypoallergenic clean and ...
 (Total 135 words)
@Eileen. All patient with known severe anaphylaxis reaction should carry with them epinephrine pen ( Epipen ). Once they have a reaction, they have to inject it into their lateral thigh immediately. For any infection that can be transmitted by kissing, we got to be straightforward and tell them no and in no indirect term. Health and safety issues are of paramount importance. I will always excuse family members or friends from the room and discuss the patient. If course before I start, I will let...
 (Total 106 words)
@Jennifer. That is hilarious. How about latex allergy ? What if your partner is allergic to latex and has a type 1 reaction. Your rubber lips doesn't work. Before I kiss someone or someone kiss me, I always give them a health declaration form and an informed consent form to sign. My kissing is subjected to stringent ethical guideline review and oversight by higher authority. So far, there was no major complication rate and my partner requested for repeat procedure of kissing from me. Minor ...
 (Total 125 words)
I have extremely bad allergies so I can somehow relate to this, but that's a curious case to plunge to death with peanut allergy. My worst allergic episode was when we were in America and they were cooking crabs and I had an attack just inhaling the food (with the house fully enclosed). And then a few weeks ago, a patient who is a chef gave me pasta and although I did suspect that it was crab I was seeing, I took a forkful and my airways locked right away, so I popped in a pill. I think pe...
 (Total 152 words)
What a awful scenario that the girlfriend died after kissing her boyfriend. That boyfriend must be so guilty of the incident! I think we must be really careful and take note of the food and allergens we have. Allergens are greatly connnected with asthma. And as an asthmatic individual, exposed to dust and sudden change of weather greatly affects my health. It gives me hoarseness of voice, triggers my coughing reflex and gives me shortness of breath. Makes me think to be careful of kissing my boy...
 (Total 121 words)
Excuse me for my ever repetitive referencing of books and movies to medical topics. In Batman and Robin, Robin kissed Poison Ivy and didn't get poisoned by her as he wore rubber lips. :) So just as you mentioned there about safe sex, time to bring out the rubber lips on the counters for safe kissing as well. When a person is ill they should be well educated by their health care provider on the transmissibility of their disease. They should then be responsible individuals and avoid spreading ...
 (Total 199 words)
Talking about the kiss death! If there is such a thing as safe sex, I think there should also be responsible kissing. Since our mouth is a portal for host of upper respiratory tract infections and other aerosol and droplet bourne diseases, we should be responsible for preventing infections and spreading it to others. While who, when, where, and how to kiss is our personal prerogative, we should be responsible for ourselves and our partners. Avoid kissing if you noticed either of you has a cold, ...
 (Total 117 words)