General

kidney transplant racket

Created by:

12 Jul 2016 - General

Unfortunately, India has been a country where good things turn into scandals very fast. It was early in the 1980s that renal transplant was started in India and Indian surgeons proved themselves to be at par with the world as far as success rates were concerned. The successful run of renal transplants was haunted by a scandal or racket of corrupt-minded healthcare personnnel as well as middlemen who wnated to make money by exploitation of unsuspecting individuals.

As we know, the number of potential recipients awaiting transplants far outnumber the number of available kidneys. This fact and the fact that poor people in India would be desperate for earning money by whichever source they can, was taken advantage of by middlemen who set up a nexus in which a poor man's healthy kidney was taken away for transplant into a wealthy individual. Everyone was paid money and everyone was benefitted, but this racket was busted because the poor people who were exploited ultimately resorted to complaining to the police.

This was a setback for the transplant programme which was halted for a significant period of time at several centres across the country. Presently the transplant programme has re-begun after the laying down of stringent criteria and safety measures by the government.

This used to be rampant practice in the Philippines since the 1970’s. In fact, historically, there were a lot of Westerners who come to Manila to buy kidneys and have them transplanted. It's a sad fact that some people are too impoverished that they have to sell one of their organs. Because of this widespread practice, an organ donation law was passed in the early 1990’s. Living donors are limited to the following: Spouse, Son or daughter, Parent, Siblings and Legal Guardian. In the hospital...
 (Total 182 words)
Thank you for the article Indira. it is indeed an exhaustive review. I wonder what human rights activists all over the world would have to say about voluntary organ donation. It is understandable to the common man that there are 2 kidneys and one can live with one kidney and hence one can be donated safely. However, I doubt that a common man who sells a kidney for financial purposes would really be in a position to understand the pros and cons of undergoing the donor nephrectomy surgery and liv...
 (Total 218 words)
Yes, Mr Parasnis, it is very sad to hear these kinds of news where medical boon turns out to be a scandal. There were news related to illegal organ transplantation which the agents take most of the money while providing a little part of it to the donor. There are legal rules and regulations which permit people to donate their organs but the economically backward community go against these rules to earn money due to which these rackets are born. various studies are also available in this regard. ...
 (Total 97 words)
@Ziwei: I did not know that about it being legal in Iran. You are right about giving the donor some compensation. That is how people here tend to see it as well. You gave me life let me at least give something in return to make your life better. Though it has to be thoroughly screened as we don't want to exploit our poor brothers and sisters. Though yes we have two kidneys but there are two for a very good reason. People who would sell a an organ wouldn't sell it unless they need the mon...
 (Total 156 words)
Back when I was in College there was a documentary on television about the kidney black market in the Philippines, and while I was watching I was so shocked to see one of the agents in my dental school. Here in the Philippines, Dentistry students work with agents and we tell them what kind of patients we want and they go and look for them for us for a fee. The following week, when I saw him in school, I asked him and he talked briefly about it. You really cannot help it I guess, because when you...
 (Total 180 words)
I feel that a person should be allowed to sell his kidney and this should be put into law. I am neither insane nor desperate to sell mine. However, chronic shortage of kidneys is a very pertinent and ubiquitous problem. While we may stand on the high moral and ethic ground lambasting any debate on legalizing kidney sale, millions are suffering from overt poverty and others , end stage renal failure. By having a well regulated , closely monitored system and strict donor screening, we can potenti...
 (Total 120 words)
This has been a long time issue in the Philippines as well. Other organs as well were sold but kidney was the prime one. Peoplw know it is illegal but since they are desperate they search to find individuals desperate as well, though financially, to sell their organs. There are have been unfortunate cases wherein children were kidnapped, their organs harvested and their bodies returned to their parents with money to pay for funeral costs. Stories of these kidnappings has although died down over ...
 (Total 121 words)