General

Electronic Money

Created by:

13 Jul 2016 - General

We live in an era where all things are becoming, or have already become electronic. From the toothbrush and shaver you start the day with, everything from transport, communication, diet, entertainment, exercise till you fall asleep, I can hardly think of anything that we use that is not electronic. Even what you dream of can be predefined using electronic devices now a days. It frees us of the hassle of carrying a large wallet around, saves us hours of shopping time, and makes all financial matters much easier which earlier used to involve coins and notes. But with the ease of use of electronic money, comes the concerns of safety.  Someone can potentially steal all your money in the comfort of a couch. No matter how secure we say electronic money is, it's not secure enough in the face of modern day hackers.  So what do you think of electronic money and its safety?

Paypal has put country restrictions on me so I can't use the full benefits paypal. Instead I use Payoneer, another online platform for international transactions. I have linked my payoneer debit card to paypal, so whenever possible I make payments through paypal because paypal is more trusted. My local bank offers electronic banking so I do all my bill and other payments and most of the tech gadget purchases online (because there are often better deals on online) And I have 2 credit cards bo...
 (Total 126 words)
I got a paypal account too and sometimes I use my card for purchasing food online (especially when I'm too lazy to go outside or even cook) and sometimes gaming and online shopping, but I only use it with safe and secure sites. I haven't been a victim of identity theft, luckily, but as safety measures, I don't use credit card, instead a debit card with not much in it lol when there are big amounts in my account, I make sure I zero my account by buying everything I want, just kidding,...
 (Total 105 words)
Like Jeniffer and Kathleen, I have a Paypal account but I only use this for international fund transfer. To be honest, I don’t trust online transactions so I avoid purchasing anything online. If its an emergency purchase and there’s no way I can find the item in the local shop, I have this debit card that has the minumum maintaining balance. So I use that card to make emergency online purchases. (such as ultra nice shoes and bags, kidding) In any event that it gets hacked, the hacker will be so...
 (Total 116 words)
I do the same as Kathleen. I use PayPal for online purchases. I keep my PayPal relatively empty so in case it gets hacked the loss won't be too painful. I fortunately have no experience of my accounts getting hacked, thankfully, but definitely when I went to the US my bank cut my card because of unusual activity and they called me up to make sure that it was me making the purchases. This taught me to inform my bank ahead that I will be travelling. I am very paranoid about electronic money bu...
 (Total 115 words)
I agree that electronic payment isn't safe, no matter how carefully store or handle our personal information. Hackers can pretty much do anything to get what they want. I am just glad than banks are more vigilant when unusual activities happen and they can stop any activity in your account. Like when I ordered Pizza to be delivered to Philippines while abroad, that activity was questioned and I have been asked to contact customer service. My experience wasn't a bad one but then it just s...
 (Total 107 words)
I have my credit card almost wiped out by someone in Mexico. For some reason, I paid of netflix in Mexico and bought a lot of stuffs online to be delivered to Mexico! Fortunately my bank noticed the unusually activity and blocked my card and after some investigation, the bank compensated me for my loss.Since then, I have avoided all forms of electronic payment online. The perpetrator probably got my credit card details online and I suspect it must be when I made payment on an unsecured site ( Si...
 (Total 104 words)