General

Top 3 favorite authors

Created by:

13 Jul 2016 - General

Like the previous post of Kathleen "What's in your bag?" I wanted to post something that let's us relax from our infinite medical knowledge.

Now this is a difficult question to answer. As there are many good books out there made by brilliant minds. Though if I had to narrow it down to my top 3 they would be:

1. John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (J.R.R. Tolkien)- the man who brought us through journies in Middle Earth. He is the writer of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. 

2. Michael Crichton (Crichton rhymes with Frighten)- briliant medical degree holder turned author who firstly published books in medical school. We know him best by his works Jurassic Park, The Congo, The Sphere...

3. Mitch Albom- My got to easy read books. I find his stories so well written and he serves to be an inspiration to me to write. We know him by his books Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet in Heaven...

WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE AUTHORS?

(I would've placed people like J.K. Rowling, Dr. Seuss, C.S. Lewis, Anne Rice... as well but I had to narrow it down to three. Bookworm problems.)

@Lianne, sure! From Neil Gaiman, I recommend The Graveyard Book, Coraline, and The Sandman comic series. The first two are YA but the lessons on loss and grief is moving even as an adult (I teared a little at the ending of The Graveyard Book). The Sandman series is surrealism at its best. The art is amazing but the bevy of complex characters and the writing is all Neil working his magic. Even though the characters are reimagined personifications of Death and Dream. For Walter Moers, he created a...
 (Total 160 words)
Oh, and I loved reading your comments too! @Jennifer - I didn’t know that Crichton rhymed with frighten (haha), I always saw a lot of his books lying around our house because of my mom. @Eileen - Since you mentioned them, I will check out Neil Gaiman and Walter Moers. Can you give me some titles of their best books? @Maria Cristina - I can totally relate to turning my back on reading fiction when I was in college. I barely had time to study and memorize everything, so squeezing in a book or tw...
 (Total 122 words)
Ooohh, a lovely topic indeed! I actually hate to narrow my choices down to three, as I am an avid reader of fiction and find it difficult to decide over one author or the other. Also, my preferences sometimes change over time, especially if I’ve discovered an amazing book series by a new author. So here goes my current favorite authors, in no particular order. Mitch Albom, for his endearing and heartwarming books which I actually collect (I have yet to get my hands on his new book “The Magic Str...
 (Total 178 words)
#BookwormProblems indeed. It's also hard for me just name 3, across all genres too! In no particular order, three of my favourite authors are: 1) J.K. Rowling, for creating one of the best coming-of-age series which was a perfect balance of realism and fantasy. I remember pre-ordering the Harry Potter books as they were released and counting down the days till I could read them. 2) Neil Gaiman, who created surreal dreamscapes in all his books which transcends genres. He also wrote for g...
 (Total 139 words)
Oh my, what a lovely topic. Why just three? Okay of course #1 Jane Austen because my all-time favorite book and love story is Pride and Prejudice. I love her other books, but the experience of reading "Pride and Prejudice" is just amazing. I remember rising from my bed, running out of my bedroom to go to my sister, just so I could scream. There were no smartphones and FB messengers yet. Haha. #2 John Grisham because before I even thought of being a dentist, I wanted to be a lawyer beca...
 (Total 221 words)
Oh my, what a lovely topic. Why just three? Okay of course #1 Jane Austen because my all-time favorite book and love story is Pride and Prejudice. I love her other books, but the experience of reading "Pride and Prejudice" is just amazing. I remember rising from my bed, running out of my bedroom to go to my sister, just so I could scream. There were no smartphones and FB messengers yet. Haha. #2 John Grisham because before I even thought of being a dentist, I wanted to be a lawyer beca...
 (Total 221 words)
Hi! I have a lot of favorite books, but my top three favorite authors are: 1) Paulo Coelho, 2) Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 3) Milan Kundera. Paulo Coelho is a fave because I like his writing style. Its like you’re having a conversation with his book when you're reading it. Among his works, I think the best one a novel entitled, “The Zahir”. It’s a novel about obsession and the insights are just so relatable. Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a brilliant story-teller. Each time I re-read his book, I some...
 (Total 184 words)
Romance of the three kingdom with countless computer game spin-offs, movies, dramas and legends. Yeah too bad the ending is a big disappointment. Jiang Wei died. Guanyu killed. Liu bei descendant big huge disappointment. Cao Cao descendants removed. I can never bear to read the end of this classic novel. However, this is truly one of the greatest piece of work by any author which is partly based on historical facts. My favorite part of the novel will be Chibi war where Caocao 1million troops los...
 (Total 105 words)
@Ziwei: Tolkien is the definite Godfather of Fantasy. I read his books before they became movies so the suspense wasn't killed there for me. There are of course many parts that were left out of the movies that were in the books but that is understandable. I am not one of those who would go nuts when the movie deviates from the book (I used to be though haha), but I have to come to find an appreciation for how they have decided to portray the book in the movie. The Arwen and Aragorn love stor...
 (Total 165 words)
My favorite authors are 1) Raymond Edmund Feiss ( Fantasy novel ) 2) Brandon Sanderson ( Fantasy Novel ) 3) Matthew Reilly ( Thriller ) . I probably finished the entire collcetion of Matthew Reilly's collection and almost all of Raymond E Feist collection. Guys and gals probably have interest in different genre. I usually read fantasy and thriller. Agree J.R.R Tolkien is probably the forefather of fantasy novel but his work had been made into movies which made it pointless to read the books ...
 (Total 115 words)