General
Philippine lawmaker pushing for marijuana legalisation

Philippine lawmaker pushing for marijuana legalisation

Shared by:

A Philippine lawmaker re-files a bill seeking to legalise medical marijuana and argued imposing stringent control measures was key to avoid its abuse. A panel of experts has also been created to further investigate the health benefits of cannabis.

today.mims.com

13 Jul 2016 - General

@Roger: You are right. At this time with our country struggling to get rid of drug trafficking it may not be the right time. To legalize it medically is of course different to legalizing it for recreational use like cigarette smoking and alcohol drinking. I really feel the pain of the Filipino people (us) through your last statement: "This is a step backwards and this is a symptom of a society in trenched in the culture of death." It is undeniable that drugs is major problem here thoug...
 (Total 182 words)
The legalization of marijuana will only lead to more problems. If governments failed to stop it from being abused while it remains illegal to use, how much more when they start legalizing it. It is a gateway drug and as such, it will open up the potential use of other illegal drugs. its negative impact on mental health and the society as a whole will be irreversible. Legalizing it for medical use will not stop the potential for abuse. This is a step backwards and this is a symptom of a society...
 (Total 99 words)
The benefits to glaucoma and Chemo patients is invaluable. These patients are not hospitalize and to restrict the use of this 2000 year old medicine to that venue is just not feasable. Burdening our our hospitals with more red tape and unnecessary staff. The pharmacies should be point of contact with special scripts necessary as is morphine.
Many countries have done the studies and this information is redily available so there is no need to reinvent the wheel.
This needs to be looked at ...
 (Total 87 words)
@Juan: Yes I agree with you that this decision needs to be backed up by substantial clinical research to prove that marijuana would truly be beneficial in the practice of medicine. Law enforcers, namely the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), would need to do their part as well in regards to this matter. Though this topic was placed in this forum to listen to the opinions of other health care professionals on this matter our personal opinions are not of course to be the basis for the lega...
 (Total 126 words)
I agree with Marinelle. I think the best way to regulate this is for treatment/administration to be limited to in-hospital use. It would be really hard to regulate the use of drugs, be it in this country or in another, so we really should not be lax about this if the legislation decides to make this legal. I'm sure the conservative Filipino population will react to this and that have been reacting, but the information dissemination will have to be aggressive and widespread, so that everyone ...
 (Total 95 words)
I think this is a good move by the new health secretary for starters. I understand President Duterte's concern over its potential for abuse, since his advocacy is to suppress the use of prohibited drugs. Because of this, if legislation will approve the use of medical marijuana, I think it should be limited to in-hospital use to address the issue of abuse potential. I agree that it can only be prescribed by those with an S2 (dangerous drugs) license. For treating epilepsy, it should be offer...
 (Total 121 words)
It is an interesting time for them to bring up the legalization of medical marijuana as our current President, Duterte, is very adamant in making the Philippines drug free as he is chasing down all the drug lords. Though putting that aside I fully support the legalization of medical marijuana. The article did point out that we have narcotics that are part of the Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 and are used as prescription medication. Medical marijuana would need to be prescribed by doctors holding t...
 (Total 114 words)