General
Shift workers face cognitive challenges

Shift workers face cognitive challenges

Shared by:

Working night shifts impact on cognitive function and may take up to five years before effects are reversed, according to research published in the journal Neurobiology of Aging.

today.mims.com

13 Jul 2016 - General

I am currently working as a nurse for a BPO company; it is really difficult for me to be at my best because of this schedule. Most of our clients are overseas in a time zone not similar to ours. However, because of the pay of this work, I need to stick to this schedule. Usually, the financial rewards in trying to cope with graveyard are the reason why we try to push thru this shift. I try to change my exercise schedule, sleeping schedule and diet to at least augment the lack of sleep that I get....
 (Total 153 words)
I am glad that I have stopped doing night shifts now. I have done nights for one year and I don't normally feel energised, even after sleeping 5-6hours following a 12 hour shift. Unluckily, my husband does nights consistently and just reading this article, I felt that it is somehow applicable to what is going on with him at present. He seems to be more forgetful and can't multi task effectively. At work, they get 1-2 hours of sleep/nap though which I think lessens the risk according to ...
 (Total 115 words)
Shift workers come across many problems after a prolonged duration of altered shift duties. They have difficulties in coping up with the other workers and even his family. the professional and personal life becomes imbalanced. The circadian rhythm gets disturbed. In medical services most of the health care workers have to work in shifts to take care of the patients. A continuous night shift could be associated with a number of problems such as poor concentration at work, fatigue, body pain, inju...
 (Total 176 words)
Hi Alex! I don't have access to the entire study, but I have read the abstract of the Swiss-Epihealth cohort study. I think critical to the interpretation of the results would be to determine if the study participants were sleep-deprived when they took the Trail Making test. Sleep deprivation have obvious cognitive side effects and I think this should be taken into account. To be able to work in night shifts, individuals must learn to cope by obtaining a good quality of sleep within a reason...
 (Total 150 words)