General
When The Patient Is Right

When The Patient Is Right

Shared by:

A patient is not a book. As doctors we tend to be wholly fixated on what is written in black and white. After years of devouring our textbooks from cover to cover and absorbing knowledge on how a certain condition should appear, we become preoccupied with certain images of what is and isn’t.

today.mims.com

13 Jul 2016 - General

Diagnosing problems presented to us is not an easy task. This article is nice because it reminds us that we have to look beyond the pages of the book. To listen to what the patient is saying because this is not a case study from a book, this is an actual patient. We will be right, most of the time, but we cannot discount what they are saying or suspecting. But speaking of patients who are right... One time I was doing a mouth examination for a company and when I saw this lady, I noted all her ca...
 (Total 208 words)
I agree with Ziwei that we should always listen to our patients, even if sometimes it seems that their self-diagnosis is far-fetched or is contradictory to our medical knowledge. In my experience, there was this one referral of a 4-year old child who has a brain tumor. When I interviewed the mother, she said that a few months back she already consulted a doctor because she noticed that sometimes her daughter have blank stares that lasts for a few seconds. The first doctor, unfortunately did not ...
 (Total 155 words)
I love this topic. If there is a "heart" button at the end of this entry, I would definitely click it. I may not be a doctor in profession but as a nurse, I am a patient advocate and I agree that patients know themselves better than anyone else, so everytime I look after a patient, I would normally listen sincerely to what they have to say and make them feel that it is recognised. I would then refer it to the doctor. We may get those odd ones who are just trying to link a, b and c of s...
 (Total 135 words)
It is interesting and very true. I have encountered many mothers who come in complaining that there is something wrong with their child. I agree with the writer when she said that mother's instinct is real and more often than not they are correct. We tend to roll our eyes at the panicking mother but we should remember to firstly assess before jumping to any conclusions. A patient comes in after googling symptoms and thinks they have so and so. Ok entertain it and explain to them why or why n...
 (Total 112 words)
I was working as an orthopaedics trainee many years ago. A young man around 19 years ago came to see me for low back pain. Running an orthopaedics clinc, we will see a lot of low back pain a day with many seeking secondary gains from a diagnosis of low back pain. The lumbosacral x-ray was normal and physical examination was normal. I probably gave him a nonchalent attitude when explaining how poor posture could have resulted in his low back pain. He immediately stopped me and emphasize to me his...
 (Total 185 words)
This is an interesting topic to share which most of us must have experienced during our daily clinical practice. There are instances when the patients come along with their own diagnosis, tests and even management just to get it confirmed. At times their diagnosis is correct and they also know the medicines which need to be taken. They also ask if some other or extra medicine is prescribed other than the patient's knowledge. Have you experienced similar instances during your practice? If so,...
 (Total 95 words)