General
ActiveSG launches Masters Club to encourage those aged 40 to 60 to exercise more

ActiveSG launches Masters Club to encourage those aged 40 to 60 to exercise more

Shared by:

SINGAPORE — In an effort to encourage middle-aged Singaporeans to exercise, ActiveSG has launched a new Masters Club which offers customised programmes that are better suited for this age agroup. Among the activities on offer under the Masters Club include Aqua spinning, water confidence courses and Taiji. These low-impact, slower-paced activities are curated by ActiveSG to accommodate the fitness levels of those aged 40 to 60, who may not have been exercising regularly or are greenhorns to a particular sport. Middle-aged Singaporeans are the least active when it comes to sports, according to the 2015 Sports Index, an annual survey that looks into sporting trends and needs among Singaporeans across various life stages. Half of the population within this age group (51 per cent males, 49 per cent females) exercise regularly, compared to the seniors -- where 59 per cent of the males and 52 per cent females consider themselves active. Fitness coach Mike Yoong said some middle-aged adults may be reluctant to participate in a sport as they are not able to keep up with their younger counterparts. “Yet, (they) do not want to join a programme for seniors for fear of being perceived as one. And they end up choosing not to exercise. The Masters Club will give more people flexibility to find a programme or sport that is suited for them, ” said the 55-year-old, who conducts various ActiveSG classes across various age groups. Adults between 40 and 60 years old currently form about 29 per cent of the 1.3 million ActiveSG members here. Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Grace Fu, who was at the launch of the ActiveSG Masters Club in Bedok on Sunday (Oct 1), said: “For those above 40, we all want to live well and also be active. But some of us start to have other concerns, such as problems with joints... we hope to have customised programmes that meet the needs of a wide range of physical conditions.” Ms Fu added: “I may be very interested in Zumba, but Zumba for a 20-year-old and Zumba for a 50-year-old may be quite different… And even if you are 50, there are the 50-year-olds who are very active, and the not so active, so (we hope the club can) find something suitable for you, taking into your consideration your physical need and your current level of activity.” There are also adults within this sandwiched age group who cite the lack of time as a chief hindrance from leading a more active lifestyle. Fifty-eight-year-old Merry Hui, for instance, said that while she was an active athlete in her schooling days, exercise took a backseat when she started working and had a family. It was only in 2008 that she took up distance running again, after her mother who was 72 years-old at the time, was diagnosed with kidney problems. “Before that, I was busy and had to look after my children… (But) I realised the importance of keeping fit when my mother ran into health issues,” said the part-time nurse, who has two sons aged 21 and 25. Ms Hui now runs and swims more than thrice a week and has even rallied her friends to join a weekly running club on Thursday evenings. Ms Gayathri Gopalakrishnan, an avid participant of the “pool walk” programme at the Bedok Swimming Complex, said it has helped her alleviate knee pain and keep her body weight in check. The 56-year-old freelance enrichment teacher said: “I used to have some knee problems and the doctor advised me to take on some lower impact sports… After joining, my energy levels have improved, I feel more positive, and don’t experience mood swings as frequently as before.” Interested participants can check out the activities on offer at https://www.myactivesg.com/programmes/academy/masters Activities are free, participants will have to pay admission fees for programmes held at the swimming pools and gyms.

www.todayonline.com

2 Oct 2017 - General