General
Prenatal Multivitamins Don't Help Much, Study Says

Prenatal Multivitamins Don't Help Much, Study Says

Shared by:

Taking prenatal vitamins may be a waste of money, a new review suggests.

www.livescience.com

13 Jul 2016 - General

I can't remember the midwife giving me any prescription and I am not sure if they can prescribe really. But, as nurses here, as you advance your study and in your career, they can assess and prescribe medications independently, we call them ANP's or Advance nurse practitioners. And as for the midwives in our country, I think some of them still practice independently in the community, am I right? I meant, those who are in rural areas and such. And as nurses in Philippines, we also know ho...
 (Total 111 words)
Hi Kathleen, thanks for the info. In our country, I think there are few who practice midwifery. I've only encountered them when I rotated in a government hospital (Fabella hospital) when I was a medical clerk Ob rotator. I have observed that in Manila, the job of the midwife is mostly limited to taking care of the infants. Although there are some stand alone clinics wherein midwives still assist Ob's in delivery. Locally, I've never encountered a midwife who's able to prescribe m...
 (Total 107 words)
Hi Dr. Castro, apologies for the late reply as I have just read your message. It is an over the counter medication but if my memory serves me right, my midwife has just advised me to take folic acid and vitamin D. *Midwife- in UK, they are the main healthcare professional who looks after pregnant women, especially non complicated ones. Otherwise, it will be referred to a consultant. And yes, they cost that much. I am not sure what other products cost as I've used only one product during my p...
 (Total 118 words)
@ Kathleen: Hi! I didn't realize that prenatal supplements are that costly in UK. Perhaps that is the reason why the researchers conducted a study. I'm just wondering if prenatal supplements needs a prescription or is it an over-the-counter medication in UK? @Liane: I'm glad that this article is very timely for you. As long as you are eating well, I think you can limit the supplementation as suggested by the study mentioned in the article. Take note that you should also monitor your ...
 (Total 137 words)
Thanks for sharing this! This is super relevant for me right now as I am pregnant, and I’ve been debating whether to take multivitamin supplements. I’ve done a bit of reading myself and am also convinced that a healthy, balanced diet should be enough. At times, however, it also gets me worried that I may not be giving enough vitamins to this little baby inside me. I took a prenatal multivitamin for a short period of time, yet I decided not to continue with it and just took folic acid and calcium...
 (Total 163 words)
I have heard this study/research on the radio on my home last night. As I've used prenatal multivitamins before, I felt that it gave me the assurance that I am doing well in my pregnancy and I guess that is one thing that supplements/muktivitaminsay offer, even though this study reveals that it may not be beneficial as much. They have also mentioned that prenatal multivitamins cost a lot, in UK, one box of Pregnacare which you take for 1 month, costs around £14 and if you based on this ...
 (Total 133 words)
This study is contradictory to other studies, which states that prenatal vitamin supplementation are found to be beneficial. I found several studies concluding that prenatal vitamins prevent pregnancy loss especially during the early trimester. I think the British study mentioned in the article has its merits, but should be interpreted by clinicians with caution. Assuming that the test subjects were well-nourished, then results would be applicable to a well-nourished population. Since I live in ...
 (Total 121 words)