General
Another study proves stenting is no better than oral medication for stable angina

Another study proves stenting is no better than oral medication for stable angina

Shared by:

Heart stenting has been a common practice for the treatment of coronary artery disease, dating back to 1986—easily three decades ago—when it was first introduced by Puel and Sigwart. However, several studies are casting shadows of doubt on the effectiveness of stenting—even suggesting it may not be necessary for every patient.

today.mims.com

14 Nov 2017 - General

Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The result of this study has caught me off-guard too. In the interim, the standard practice is to perform angioplasty and I am still inclined to recommend it. If this finding will be solidified with other high-quality studies showing that efficacy of oral medicine is comparable to stents in stable angina cases, then I will really lean towards the conservative ap...
 (Total 70 words)
Coronary reperfusion with stenting has long been accepted as a standard treatment to patients who have coronary vessel blockage. A new study begs to differ from this norm as the results show that stents are no better than oral medication for preventing heart attack or cerebrovascular disease events in the short term. For the MIMS community, where do you stand in the decision between advising stent placement or not? I would still advise stenting for those who fit the criteria but remind them that...
 (Total 94 words)