General
130/80 BP is new high in 2017 hypertension guidelines | News for Doctor, Nurse, Pharmacist | Pharmacy | MIMS Malaysia

130/80 BP is new high in 2017 hypertension guidelines | News for Doctor, Nurse, Pharmacist | Pharmacy | MIMS Malaysia

Shared by:

130/80 BP is new high in 2017 hypertension guidelines | MIMS Malaysia

specialty.mims.com

22 Nov 2017 - General

Yes it is a big challenge to treat Hypertension now with the new guideline. Even the limit of 130/85 was unaccepted by patients as high BP. They are very reluctant to start treatment just like the diabetics with the new WHO guidelines of 5.4 mmol now. Lifestyle and diet changes with daily physical exercise are the most important factors in the present lifestyle. Patient education and creating health awareness are the first step to be taken by GPs and the responsibility lies on the shoulders of ...
 (Total 88 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Indeed it is very challenging for us to achieve such a blood pressure reading. The ACC is sending a very important reminder to everyone: Find time to be active. We must be creative in increasing physical activity as exercise is not limited to hitting the gym. Some examples are taking the stairs instead of the lift, parking our car a bit farther to encoura...
 (Total 102 words)
Madhubabu kaaja Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I feel that the main driving factor that compelled the ACC to lower the BP range for diagnosis is the increase in incidence of both MI and stroke in younger individuals. It is no coincidence that this statistic occurred in an era where people became more sedentary. I would like to highlight that diagnosis of hypertension stage 1 does not warrant immediate pharma...
 (Total 100 words)
This new update has been very alarming noting that the range of normal blood pressure should be less than and not equal to 120/80. It could be a very challenging and hard to get type of blood pressure for almost everyone. I know several colleagues of mine in the arly 20’s having maintenance medications and even in the range of 130-140’s for the systole. I pretty sure that not everyone are aware of this new update by the AHA. As healthcare professionals, spreading this information to raise aware...
 (Total 97 words)
I have seen comments about the ACC's new hypertension guidelines that this update is merely for profiteering of pharmaceutical companies. Comments such as this are totally off-base as cardiologists are only raising alarm levels early to prevent increasing the incidence of MI and stroke. Having stage 1 hypertension only warrants dietary and lifestyle modification unless there are indications to start pharmacological treatment. According to Dr. Tony Leachon's ( a renowned Filipino cardiolo...
 (Total 89 words)