General
Effective communication leads to effective delivery of healthcare

Effective communication leads to effective delivery of healthcare

Shared by:

Communication between doctors and patients is essential in building a good doctor-patient relationship, which is an important part in the practice of medicine. Effective communication allows doctors to gather information from the patients, which will help them in coming up with an accurate diagnosis, and effectively counsel and instruct patients, and establish a caring relationship between them. This can ultimately lead to the best treatment outcomes and patient satisfaction, necessary for effective healthcare delivery.

today.mims.com

14 Jul 2016 - General

"Effective communication leads to effective delivery of healthcare" -- the title says it all but I think it should not only be limited between doctor and patients. Other healthcare professionals as well should be considered into this article, especially nurses, who normally plays a vital connection between a doctor and a patient while admitted in a hospital when it comes to delivery of care. Yes, jargons should be avoided as much as possible when communicating with patients. I admire d...
 (Total 102 words)
Effective communication between patients and health care providers is a critical element to quality health care. Becoming aware of patients' attitudes, beliefs, biases, and behaviors that may influence patient care can help to improve access to and quality of care. Health care providers should develop a strategic plan for improvement, then implement and evaluate the plan to include structured, continuously improving progress toward achieving cultural competency goals. In this challenging hea...
 (Total 130 words)
Effective communication starts with trying to establish rapport between you and your patient. This then creates a feeling of trust for both you and your patient. It would also be great to take time and listen. Show genuine concern with regards to the patient’s fears, anxieties, and concern. This is hard sometimes even if how busy you are and with the number of task and procedures that you have to face. But in time, as you accustom yourself with this kind of thinking; it gets to be easier by the ...
 (Total 159 words)
I think this article should not be limited to communication with patients, but with the other members of the healthcare team as well. Collaborative communication is also important in ensuring delivery of quality health care. Just to add to the points given, whenever I meet the patient and relatives for a consult, I try to have an estimate of their educational background. This forms the basis of my style in explaining the patient's condition. To avoid the use of medical jargons, I usually ass...
 (Total 194 words)
Good communication skill is very important in delivering day to day healthcare service to every patient. Doctor need to communicate well when talking to patient, so that all the clinical information will be well delivered to patient. Communication does included a good listening skill to the patient as well, healthcare professional need to listen attentively to the patients concerns , problems, and query. We need to empathises, and understand the patient feeling. A good doctor-patient relatio...
 (Total 126 words)
The system in the government medical college where I did my graduation and postgraduation was different. The patients who landed up in government hospitals belonged to the lowest socioeconomic strata of the society and they had no other choice. They had to agree with and abide by what the doctors told them about their patients. As a result, the teachers who trained us did not consider it essential to teach us about good communication skills at that time. I learnt to effectively communicate with...
 (Total 189 words)
We were taught as early as on our 2nd year of medical school to speak in Filipino, even the foreign students. Even on our clerkship, we were asked to refrain from talking to patients and relatives in English, and translate even the tough words so that there will be no gap between the patient and physician. True enough, speaking in our own language makes the patient relate well, as well as they are more expressive regarding their condition and other concerns. I know one consulting physician who p...
 (Total 167 words)
Oh the use of medical jargon. I completely understand the difficulty to translate medical information into layman terms. Sometimes, especially when translating into another language, you just can’t find an appropriate term to replace the medical one. This is just another barrier we have push through. Take it as a challenge. When there is not layman term that you would use, use the medical one and explain what it is. Patients may not ask all the questions as they are trying to digest everything t...
 (Total 130 words)