General
Herb-drug interactions that patients need to know

Herb-drug interactions that patients need to know

Shared by:

Patients need to understand that herbal medications are not completely safe, and that these preparations, when taken with other drugs, can alter the way that the drug is processed and excreted by the body, enhance a drug’s side effects, or block the intended therapeutic effect of the drug.

today.mims.com

14 Jul 2016 - General

@Lianne: the "medicine is natural" defense. I understand how patients are misinformed about this. If something grows from God's green earth and hasn't been altered in the laboratory by man it must be safe. The fact that they are potent enough to cause effects should be a sign that they are capable of much more. More and lots more patient education is needed but it has to be done in a manner where we don't ridicule their beliefs or force onto them western medicine. Thank you...
 (Total 109 words)
Many patients think that just because a medicine is "natural" (like herbs), this means that it is safe. We have to make our patients very much aware that “natural” doesn’t necessarily equate to “safe.” Thus, when giving patients any medication, we should first be sure to ask about all the medications and herbal medicines they are taking. This is also especially true when they take supplements containing one or more of these herbal medicines. This is a good list by the way, and Marinell...
 (Total 99 words)
@Ziwei: The article is letting us know that the drugs listed cause the said drug interactions. It is not saying these drugs are not to be prescribed. I agree with you with Co-Enzyme Q10 and I prescribe this drug as well. I only heard of Black Cohosh today but it seems like a good drug and I will consider this as well. The issue on Gingko Biloba I feel is a bit conflicting. Some studies say there is no strong clinical evidence that Gingko biloba can improve dementia and MCI and others say that si...
 (Total 125 words)
Guys am I right to say Gingko Biloba has been proven to be ineffective for dementia and MCI ( mild Cognitive impairment )? Some issue with the article that needs correction. From the list I noticed there are 2 herbs that I do advise some of my patients to take and I think they are evidence based - Black Cohosh ( For mild mensopausal symptoms ) and Co-Enzyme Q10 ( For established IHD as well as reduced statin associated muscle ache with normal CK ). Please correct me if I am wrong the points. I d...
 (Total 137 words)
Just to add to that list, here are some of our local (widely available in the Philippines) herbs and plants that have significant drug interactions: 1) Garlic - it has anti-platelet properties that may cause prolonged bleeding time. 2) Bilimbi tree (“Kamias”) - It inhibits the clotting process due to high contents of oxalic acid that forms complexes with calcium. 3) Black pepper - Potentiates the analgesic effect of Diclofenac 4) Parsley - consumption of large amounts promotes clotting and inter...
 (Total 121 words)
I can't agree with you more. Traditional herbal medicine has come a long way, and even in the present day it has shown to be more effective than western medicine in some instances. But we have to be cautious when we encourage, (or at least do not discourage) patients to take herbal medicine. If used properly herbs can do miracles, but nowadays in the competitive market it's difficult to find quality herbal products. In some places, herbs are mixed with non medicinal plants, and some add ...
 (Total 119 words)
Herbal medications have been around for a very long time people would argue. It reminds me of the short history of medicine namely: 2000 B.C. -Here, eat this root. 1000 A.D. -That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer. 1850 A.D. -That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion. 1940 A.D. -That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill. 1985 A.D. -That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic. 2000 A.D. -That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root. They have been around fo...
 (Total 133 words)