General

Is artificial light making us sick?

Created by:

15 Jul 2016 - General

Humans and animals have naturally evolved in the light-dark cycle of day and night. In today’s modern world, however, 75 percent of the global population is exposed to light during the night. Though not entirely harmful, recent studies have found that disrupting the normal light-dark cycle can lead to bone deterioration, decrease of skeletal muscle function, and having the body go into a pro- inflammatory state, among other effects. I guess this is bad news for insomniacs, late sleepers, and of course those on constant graveyard shifts. The good news is that, such effects are reversible. As we can't just, well, turn off all the lights, what can you think can be done regarding this? Any thoughts on these findings?

Do give the article a read here:https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160714134753.htm

I prefer sleeping in total darkness too. When the light is on, I feel like I haven't really slept at all. And being an insomniac, this article has me concerned, especially now that I am often kept awake until the wee hours of the morning. Well, yes, I don't think artificial light makes us sick per se, but I think there are groups of people who should be concerned over this information, such as call center agents who work through the night and sleep during the day. I had a friend who work...
 (Total 176 words)
I, personally, prefer sleeping in total darkness (if that is even possible). I am an insomniac and also a light sleeper. While I am able to drown sounds---be it snoring, city sounds, television or music, etc., light is an issue for me. Just like I find it hard to sleep in the day (or to sleep in when the sun is shining brightly outside), lights in my bedroom keep me awake and stirring in bed. I don’t know… I cannot seem to relax and the next day, I will feel exhausted. Given this, I agree… artif...
 (Total 125 words)
Hi Liane, to answer the question on your title, I don’t think that artificial light makes us sick per se. Although I must say that living in the industrialized world has affected certain aspects of human behavior as a consequent physiologic effect of prolonged artificial light exposure. Prolonged artificial light exposure desensitizes photosensitive cells in the retinal ganglion and this directly affects sleep patterns. This is the reason why the National Sleep foundation suggests to turn off th...
 (Total 153 words)