General
Practical and accurate calculator for risk of psychotic disorders

Practical and accurate calculator for risk of psychotic disorders

Shared by:

The risk of developing more severe psychotic disorders from a few early warning symptoms can now be accurately predicted using a risk calculator that scientists have developed in a recent publication in The American Journal of Psychiatry.

today.mims.com

15 Jul 2016 - General

@Marinelle - I agree that the calculated progressions should have been compared with the natural disease course. The etiology of mental disorders, schizophrenia in particular, is quite difficult to pinpoint, with many factors that can possibly interact and affect the disease progression. Hopefully the tool they come up with will be quite reliable and will be able to help practitioners and patients. @Maria Cristina - I can relate, as I have an aunt too who was very smart in college but then late...
 (Total 147 words)
Kudos to the proponents of the research! From the way it sounds from the article, the conducting the study was truly labor intensive. Although, I must point out that from a clinician's perspective, poorly controlled symptoms of delusions and auditory hallucinations despite maximal standard therapy is a give away that patients may potentially progress into overt psychosis. Schizophrenia remains to be an enigmatic disease. The exact etiology is still unknown. Although there are theories and bi...
 (Total 154 words)
This is a very interesting article. The contribution of this "risk calculator" is very significant because psychological disorders can really affect the lives of patients and their families (friends) may it a mild one or not. I have an aunt who was diagnosed with a disorder after she became depressed from a breakup from her College boyfriend. I was told she was very brilliant in school. She's still quite smart, when you speak to her, but very unstable and often mumbles to herself. ...
 (Total 168 words)
"Of the eight predictors, stressful life events, trauma, and family history were observed not to be significant contributors to psychosis development." I wanted to quote this from the article because I am surprise that they were not found to be significant contributors to the development of psychosis. Out of all eight factors, I wonder which one is the top/ major factor . It's good to know that a risk assessment or calculator is in place to help manage psychotic disorders. This is ...
 (Total 105 words)
This is quite an interesting finding, as psychological disorders are quite difficult to treat. Aside from this, such conditions greatly affect the quality of life of not just the patient, but the family as well, not to mention the stress from the stigma that comes with such disorders. I think this risk calculator is a good idea and can have an impact on psychiatric practice. Knowing that a person has a tendency for psychosis can help them get help earlier, give a chance for their family and frie...
 (Total 133 words)