General

What are your top three favorite medical movies?

Created by:

15 Jul 2016 - General

After several discussions on books, I actually remembered several good movies as well. When I was teaching Pharmacy students, I would set aside two hours of class time to show them a movie that was relevant to a certain topic in the course subject. Some of my favorites were “Patch Adams” for Health Care subjects, as it showed various “carative traits” of great health care providers, “My Sister’s Keeper” when it came to the subject in Health/ Medical Ethics, and “Living Proof”, a drug development movie based on a true story about the doctor who developed the drug Herceptin for a certain type of breast cancer. What are your favorite medical/ health movies? Any movies you’d recommend? :)

Didn't think my mention of the movie 'Pathology' would arouse so much curiosity, but now that you all seem interested, did any one of you actually go home and watched the movie? If you did, I'd like to know what you think. Maybe I have an evil subconscious but I do find these type of violent/disturbing movies interesting. (I am very calm and quite on the outside if you ask me) So if you happen to like this, I have a list of others that are similar to Pathology. You can start with...
 (Total 119 words)
@Lianne Marie- Great, will catch "After you" when the movie is out. The mesmerizing smile of the actress really drew me to the movie. The movie also brought us closer to the personal life and endeavour of a quadraplegic which we tend to ignore or miss out as a physician. From the movie, we see the daily struggle of them which we can never fanthom. Back in my orthopaedics days, I see a lot of central cord syndrome who can never discharge due to recurrent urinary tracet infection, pneumo...
 (Total 134 words)
Medical movie?? I guess it has to me "me before you" . It is about euthanasia of a quadriplegic due to the high spinal cord injury after an accident. 2nd favorite will be "The Notebook" about an Alzheimer disease patient. I cannot remember other medical movies. If a movie is touted a medical movie, I will try to avoid it. Movie is a leisure activity for me and I will not want to link it back to my work. If you ask me about my all time favorite, I will say my top will be 1)F...
 (Total 119 words)
My Top 3 Medical Movies. I will apologize for my choice of “medical” films, but anyway here is my list: 1) Girl Interrupted. This is not particularly my top 1 but I love this film so much, I’ve seen it countless of times. I am fascinated with the mind and this film is very raw (quite menacing) but interesting just the same. 2) A Beautiful Mind. Another movie that’s close to this one is Shutter Island and I like that too. I like thrillers and mysteries. I like twisted plots and films that make y...
 (Total 134 words)
So the all around good ones Patch Adams, Lorenzo's Oil, A Beautiful Mind etc have already been mentioned here so let me just add onto that list. The movie portrayal of the book by Mitch Albom "Tuesdays with Morrie" was real good. It gives you an inside look on what it is like to see a mentor, someone important in a person's life slowly deteriorate from the disease Lou Gehrig's disease or ALS. In line with Psychiatry there is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with Jack Ni...
 (Total 227 words)
I can't remember a third, but I do remember two movies that I enjoyed very much.One is 'Patch Adams' That movie is a masterpiece! I watched it while I was a medical student and that really changed my attitudes about the medical profession and how we treated patients. I remember one moment when a patient was discussed in a ward round and the students were allowed to ask questions. Adams had only one question. 'What's his name sir?' We are so emerged in the science of medic...
 (Total 150 words)
My Top 3 favorite medical films are: 1) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, 2) Lorenzo's Oil, 3) A Beautiful Mind. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a French film about Jean-Dominique Bauby, a popular editor-in-chief of Elle (the French equivalent of Vogue). Unfortunately, in the middle of his great career he had a rare type of brainstem stroke called “locked-in syndrome”. This movie is quite special to me because it gave me an insight on what my stroke patients could be possibly thinking ...
 (Total 190 words)