General

Awkward Hospital Encounters

Created by:

15 Jul 2016 - General

I have been practically living inside the hospital during my residency training. Within its confines, I had so many unforgettable encounters that's quite amusing to remember. It's like living within Grey's Anatomy, just remove the sexy and relationship parts for doctors! I remember this particular awkward encounter. I did my evening rounds later than usual because of an emergency procedure. When I entered the room of my patient (he's gay), I caught him making out with his boyfriend. The thing is, normally its expected for them to stop and be embarrassed. But this time they didn't and my patient even motioned me to leave! It was really awkward. I'm the one who ended up feeling embarrassed! Do you have any similar encounters?  

Haha what a time to enter the room to see how a patient is doing. He was most certainly feeling over the moon at that moment! :D Not entirely similar but something like that happened to a friend of mine while we were medical students. When she entered the room, the patient, a middle aged man had been masturbating. Instead of being embarrassed and stopping, the patient had continued to do it until my friend decided to walk out of the room. This happened in a psychiatry ward, the blame cannot be ...
 (Total 113 words)
What an encounter you have. Actually I find it pretty rude for them to be making out and asking for your egress. I will definitely excuse myself and make a quick exit. However, I will return later to admonish him and make a compliant to the hospital administration. Behaving this may is tantamount to disrespect to others. If i am in a foul mood, I will press the code blue button. Kidding. I do not have such an eye popping encounter with my patient. The most embarrassing will most probably be my p...
 (Total 104 words)
Hi Maria! I left the room out of sheer embarrassment. I was caught off guard! I didn't expect that I'll be requested to leave! I just checked his chart and the nurse attested that "the patient doesn't want to be disturbed" and has been stable. Luckily his case is not toxic. When I came back the following day, I made rounds with the nurse-in-charge and pretended that nothing happened the night before. Thankfully, the boyfriend wasn't there and the patient also behaved as...
 (Total 128 words)
Wow! That’s funny—and really unexpected. What did you do when they asked you to leave? Did you? I don’t have similar experiences but I get asked awkward questions. Like when I give my post-op instructions after surgery and I stress on avoidance of “physical activities”, I’ve also found it necessary to add, let’s limit it to “flying kisses” and a peck on the cheek for now. Patients will smile. But one time I treated a woman and after I gave my instructions she whined: “But it’s the long weekend!”...
 (Total 104 words)