General
Suspended GP found guilty over false death certificates and sentenced to 9 months

Suspended GP found guilty over false death certificates and sentenced to 9 months

Shared by:

A general practitioner (GP), who had been suspended from practice for issuing false causes of death, has been sentenced to jail for nine months.Dr. Kwan Kah Yee, had pled guilty to three charges: signing a false death certificate, falsifying evidence for a probe conducted by the Singapore Medical Council (SMC), and providing false information to the police.

today.mims.com

15 Jul 2016 - General

Unfortunately it happened in Singapore and it totally shocked us. This particular doctor in working for a voluntary welfare organisation who will pay him for every death certificate he signed. However it cases requiring a forensic referral, he will not be eligible for payment. He signed up a young housewife with no past medical history as dying secondary to acute myocaridial infarction and fabricated a medical record detailing her history of recurrent chest pain prior to death. For all me know, ...
 (Total 118 words)
That news article is quite odd. I wonder what the physician’s motive would be. Personally, I do not like issuing death certificates. I have always believed that the less you write, the less you get into trouble! However, its quite unavoidable for me to do so. In the hospital where I’m having my training at, only the main attending physician can provide a death certificate for the patient. Since consultants are not always around, most of the time, resident trainees of that consultant may also pro...
 (Total 156 words)