General

Its True! Nay??

Created by:

15 Jul 2016 - General

Give me your feedback..

• The word "dreamt" is the only common word in the English language that ends in "mt".
  • Cockroaches can live 9 days without their heads before they starve to death.
  • The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system in India, employing over 1.6 million people.
  • Each nostril of a human being registers smells in a different way. Smells that are made from the right nostril are more pleasant than the left. However, smells can be detected more accurately when made by the left nostril.
  • The blue whale has a heart the size of a small car and its blood vessel is so broad, that a person could swim through it.
  • In the courts of the Roman Empire, instead of swearing an oath on a bible, men swore to the truth on their statements while holding their genitals. Hence the word 'testify', from 'testicles'.
  • A dog can hear sounds that are 100 times fainter than the faintest sounds that a person can hear. If a person can just hear a noise that is coming from 10 feet away, a dog could hear that same noise from 100 feet away.
  • The surface area of the lungs is roughly the same size as a tennis court.
  • A human will eat on average 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders while sleeping.
  • Studies show that eating spicy food can help you live longer.
  • The best time for a person to buy shoes is in the afternoon. This is because the foot tends to swell a bit around this time.
  • Nazi leader Adolf Hitler had only one testicle.
  •  Humans are born with 350 bones in their body, however when a person reaches adulthood they only have 206 bones. This occurs because many of them join together to make a single bone.

The fourth fact, about how the sensation of smell is perceived in different ways by the two nostrils is something I have never heard. I should keep in mind to use my left nostril when I'm shopping in a perfume store :) The story about how the word 'testify' originated is hilarious. I actually laughed reading it! Well it could be right about eating 70 insects, but a human eats an average of 10 spiders in sleep? Jeez that's not true. I sleep with my mouth closed so at least I'm...
 (Total 107 words)