General
A man who lives without 90% of his brain is challenging our concept of 'consciousness'

A man who lives without 90% of his brain is challenging our concept of 'consciousness'

Shared by:

A French man who lives a relatively normal, healthy life - despite missing 90 percent of his brain - is causing scientists to rethink what it is from a biological perspective that makes us conscious. Despite decades of research, our understanding...

www.sciencealert.com

15 Jul 2016 - General

Agree with you Marinelle. The condition has had a very slow progression in this patient so his brain must have had adequate time to rewire its neural network to preserve the basic activities he was performing daily. If examined properly, there could be some deficiencies in fine activities like coordination and balance, although he admits to have lived a normal life. However the brain is not all about the cortical function. The amygdala, thalamus, hypothalamus, claustrum, the basal ganglia.. all ...
 (Total 115 words)
That's an interesting case. The neural tissue is one of the most mysterious tissues indeed. In my own practice, I've encountered a similar case of a child, aged 2 with severe congenital hydrocephalus with almost <10% of cortical mantle left. Unfortunately he is severely disabled and behaves like a baby. I think this has a lot to do with early brain development. If early in life (<2 years old, prior to myelination), there was already an insult to the brain, further development will ...
 (Total 168 words)
Came across this interesting article of a man who has apparently been living a normal life despite having gradually lost 90% of his brain tissue. He has a history of hydrocephalus diagnosed at the age of 14 years. After the medical interventions at that point, he has not been followed up. In fact there has been no reason to go to a doctor since the man was having no problem at all. And at the age of 44 years, he walks into the doctors office complaining of mild weakness of a leg. 'MILD weakn...
 (Total 128 words)