General
Philippine Health department to prioritise mental health

Philippine Health department to prioritise mental health

Shared by:

The Philippine Department of Health, under the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte, has vowed to prioritise mental health starting with awareness campaigns on the types of mental health disorders, the need for consultation and eventually, treatment.

today.mims.com

15 Jul 2016 - General

I think this is area has been neglected for a long time. Majority of Filipinos do not consult a psychiatrist, even for non extreme symptoms like depression, somatic symptoms, anxiety, etc. Psychiatrists are more commonly known by Filipinos as the "doctor for the crazy", which also left some of those who are legitimately mentally sick disregard their ailment. Everyone should know that the things they sometimes feel is not all in their minds. It is real and it is not something that they ...
 (Total 90 words)
I agree (and am quite amazed) that the government plans to make mental health a priority. All over the world, mental health disorders are among the most underdiagnosed and undertreated. Aside from difficulty being diagnosed, the stigma that comes with having a mental disorder is usually a barrier that hinders patients from seeking and getting help. Along with this is the sad fact that mental health disorders are widely misunderstood by the general public. I have a relative with mental health dis...
 (Total 118 words)
I agree that this is a good platform by the Duterte administration. Aside from depression and suicide, I think they should also make efforts in improving the practice of addiction psychiatry. Since Pres. Duterte started his term, thousands of drug users and pushers have surrendered and pledged to rehabilitation. However, I doubt if our current rehabilitation facilities can accommodate all of those who surrendered. I am also unaware if there are rehabilitation centers in provinces wherein hundred...
 (Total 128 words)
I am starting to be a fan of Rodrigo Duterte. He really has the foresight of a great leader although his use of verbal obscenities is a turn off. It is rare to see a leader seeing mental health as an issue and you really need to have an in depth knowledge of the society to see this. Given Philippine growing middle class and rapid economic growth, I guess we will see more and more stress related disorder, suicide, mood and anxiety disorder. In Singapore, mental health is a major problem but no...
 (Total 108 words)
Health is an important concern in the Philippines and most especially, Mental Health (which is quite neglected). During the campaign, when the debates were going on, I was always waiting for some focus on HEALTH policies but there wasn’t any direct spotlight on it. One Senator finally got my vote this year because her platform highlighted HEALTH and MENTAL HEALTH, most especially. I voted for Duterte, so news like these makes me smile. True—suicide rates are not exactly alarming compared to ot...
 (Total 166 words)