General

Pokemon GO

Created by:

16 Jul 2016 - General

I hope you have heard about the new Pokemon game, Pokemon Go going viral around the globe. The game has only been released in few countries but almost every social media site is getting flooded with Pokemon GO posts one after the other. Those of you who haven't heard, Pokemon GO is a location based augmented reality game available for iOS and android mobile devices. To play the game, you actually have to step out of your house and walk in the real world. It has not yet been released in the Asian region (Apparently their servers cannot handle the amount of traffic coming from millions of players playing the game.) Are you also looking forward to playing this game? 

Haha, I am rather surprised that there is a long string of discussion on a medical forum on this apps game - Pokemon GO. I believe many healthcare workers are playing and some people even resort to travelling around the world to catch the area-restricted rare Pokemons. Guess it is a good way to kill time. The interesting part is that airports generally do not have much pokemon spawning grounds but hospitals and clinics seem to have many spawning grounds for the pokemons. The disappointing part ...
 (Total 96 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama: haha you know before my friend and I set out to go hunting I thought, "so how are we going to share the Pokemon?" It turns out if there is Pokemon in one spot like let's say a Pikachu (which I still really want to find) you all can get that exact Pikachu in the same spot :). So no need to murder anyone. The creators already figured out that dilemma. When people lure (this la...
 (Total 231 words)
Jennifer Winter So how exactly do you lure Pokemon to a certain place? So when one lures a pokemon and you catch it, does that me that you caught their pokemon and that guy is not going to get anything? That to me is motive for murder! I hope you did not get a beating from anyone there. :D I'm at work now and my hospital is in the heart of Colombo. I'm sure there must be other players around but in the ma...
 (Total 111 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama: I feel it shall come to you eventually. I am not sure on how often they drop by but they just appear at random from how I see it. There are more Pokemon in areas where it is more touristy or public like a mall for example. Yesterday, after convincing you try out Pokemon, I went to the mall to do errands I caught about 30 Pokemon there. There are more Pokestops and a lot of people would tr...
 (Total 141 words)
Jennifer Winter Okay that's enough. I read your text and at last I just couldn't resist it anymore. I checked and it is not available in the country yet. But I couldn't handle the curiosity so I went on and downloaded the APK file from the internet and the game is now RUNNING! I even caught the first pokemon. It was a tiny fellow, I can't remember the name now, and it was standing on my keyboard! ...
 (Total 107 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama: Addicting indeed! Ok so I just got back from Pokemon hunting. It's a Sunday so allow me to be carefree. Yes you can find them in your backyard and on the roads. Just last night as I was watching Narcos 4 pokemon came into my living room. There are a lot of people playing it. I even bumped into a friend of mine and her son playing it as well. It is quite hilarious because when my frien...
 (Total 209 words)
Jennifer Winter Say Hi to a technologically advanced addiction! :D So have you played the game and did you really find those creatures in your backyard and on the road? Have a lot of people started to play the game in your streets too? I have seen videos of so many people flooding to some locations to collect rare pokemons or something. I mean there were a ridiculously large number of people in those videos. If i...
 (Total 103 words)
Oh #pokemonNo! Hahaha! A few weeks ago I just posted about Pokemon on my FB account cus the day before I was having dinner with my family in a mall and my sister (who had just downloaded the app) was going around the mall, going crazy. I never played Pokemon before. I never even touched their Gameboys when they had it before. So while she was going crazy I asked her so why is this cool? And then she started explaining it and I automatically drifted away... then my other sister laughed and said: ...
 (Total 245 words)
@Jennifer I was lucky. My friend, a batchmate of mine had a radial fracture after his motor bike got bumped into a sign post. He was trying to 'hack a portal' nearby (that's a thing in the game) while driving the bike with one hand. :/ Early warning devices! That would be a good idea. If it is a kid who's playing the game, it won't be difficult to set up a system to automatically send location updates to their parents at certain intervals, say every 5 minutes. So if anything ...
 (Total 133 words)
@Jeniffer - As smart as it is, there's also a great risk involved in this kind of activity. I have myself being almost hit by a car playing ingress while walking on the road, not to mention the countless times I have almost bumped into poles and trees and fell into ditches :D Kids going out of there homes is good both for their mental and physical health. But an accident can happen at any time when 100% of your concentration is on your mobile phone and you're not looking at the road or w...
 (Total 118 words)
The game is developed by Niantic, who as far as I know is a subdivision of Google. They are the same developers who developed the game 'Ingress', which is the very first location based augmented reality game that brought players to the real world.. At that time what they said their goal was to bring the nerds who game on their couches at home on to the streets to make them walk. And they were successful doing that. Ingress was embraced by many millions and now the next game Pokemon GO ha...
 (Total 111 words)
I wasn't a pokemon fan but I find the idea of this game quite interesting. I love how the idea of their being Pokemons everywhere and you can drive around and catch them haha. If it were a based on something I am into like let's say Lord of the Rings I would be so down...though I would need to take some self-control pills as I don't want this game to take over my life. I heard this story about two kids knocking at a man's door asking to go into his backyard and catch a pikachu. T...
 (Total 288 words)
Overheard from someone that they had to stop by the road side just because her child was crying because she didn't want to stop for him to catch a pokemon by the road side while she was driving. Also heard that alot accidents are happening due to the negligence of the drivers who are the players themselves. This is insane and needs to stop! The idea is brilliant, but causing others to suffer and the world to talk crap about it every single day is not a good sign. Kids might love it, but adul...
 (Total 167 words)
Seeing the title of your post made me smile as I just found out or knew about Pokemon Go today when I had my driving lessons. My driving instructor (age 40) is into it and told me all about this new craze, Pokemon Go! He was telling me we can turn right in here and we might see some Pokemons! And I was like, what is that? Then, he showed me this app and shared that he and the kids (his 2 sons) went outside their house yesterday for two hours looking for Pokemons. In the good side, it is a good w...
 (Total 128 words)