General

Stress relievers

Created by:

16 Jul 2016 - General

• Chew a Stick of Gum

Researchers from Australia and England found that in moments of stress, gum chewers felt less anxious and had 18 percent less cortisol (the stress hormone) in their saliva. Chewing increases blood flow to the brain, which may make us feel more alert and it may also distract us from stressors,

• Brew Some Black Tea

​​​​​​​People who drank four servings of black tea a day for six weeks were able to de-stress faster and had lower levels of cortisol after a stressful day, according to a study from University College London. Chemical compounds in the antioxidant-packed beverage may relax us through their effect on neurotransmitters in the brain.

• Put Pen to Paper

​​​​​​​Writing about a stressful event for just 20 minutes on a daily basis, lowered levels of perceived stress. Putting feelings on paper appears to organize thoughts, helping us process unpleasant experiences and release negative emotions.

• Put on Music You Love

Music can elicit positive emotions and reduce your levels of stress hormones. patients who listened to songs of their choice were less anxious before surgery. Boost your mood even more by dancing along to trigger the release of endorphins.

• Clean House 

Housework's repetitive nature that can help release tension. Get lost in the rhythm of folding clothes or vacuuming, which can disrupt stressful thought patterns and trigger the body's relaxation response. So start cleaning!

Yes, I would agree that being alone without any disturbance from outside world will be another great way of relieving stress. In our daily work, I am sure that the entire healthcare professionals will experience endless conversations, with lot of interruption in between; usually from we start to work from 8am till we finish work. And some of us may require some moment of “silent” or “alone time” after work, to relax and calm our busy and hectic mind. Sipping away a nice cup of tea or coffee in ...
 (Total 102 words)
Aside from what's already mentioned, if I am really stressed out from work, I try to deviate my attention by doing something that I like. Once a week, I find time to paint (watercolor). Creating something makes me feel productive and generally better after a stressful week. Like You Yi said, exercise greatly helps. For me its a form of meditation because the mind clears up after exercising. On a daily basis, I spend at least 30 mins to an hour alone, away from the workplace. I'd frequent...
 (Total 150 words)
Hi Alan, yes we need some stress reliever in our job environment. I would definitely agree that listen to nice music will be a wonderful way to relax. I would always listen to the music that I love on my way home from work, and it did help to calm and relax my mind after a day of hectic work. Writing is also a good way of relieve the stress. I believe exercise is another good way to relieve stress, and it will also promote a healthy lifestyle as well. Jogging in a nice park, listening to mu...
 (Total 130 words)