General
How to make healthier choices when eating out

How to make healthier choices when eating out

Shared by:

Dining out has been an increasing trend in some countries. Due to the convenience it offers and increasing demands of daily living, eating out at fast food chains and restaurants has become a part of many individuals’ routine, especially those who have a busy, on-the-go lifestyle.

today.mims.com

17 Jul 2016 - General

I love that Maria! (YOLO!) A little and control intake of everything will not harm our health that much. But taking beyond what is normal in an everyday basis will surely lead us to the unhealthy results. It's just funny and ironic sometimes we get to advice our patients to eat a well balanced ans healthy diet that we ourselves cannot even follow. I will never forget my instructor in college of pin ponting that we can never give what we don't have. So let us start within ourselves of bei...
 (Total 110 words)
Yes Maria, healthy option is always the best when dining out or take away food. Nowadays, i know some of the fast food places have tried to introduce some healthy option like salad as well !!!! A lot of other restaurants do offer healthy, less calorie, and less sugar content food, as they know people are more health conscious now. But sometime, maybe once a while, we should enjoy the nice but rather unhealthy meal. Eating some fresh fruits with yogurt for for lunch/dinner seems like an attracti...
 (Total 106 words)
Oh if there really is no option but to dine out, there are still healthy options, you just really have to be more cautious. Of course you cannot account for the actual ingredients they use but when I try to be conscious I usually go for salads, wraps and sandwiches. I choose chicken or fish and I stay away from friends (especially deep fried) and I always opt for water instead of soda. Nowadays, there is a growth in the number of healthy restaurants, but fastfood places are still quite tricky. U...
 (Total 173 words)
Hi Priscilla, you are definitely right. We usually took the easy way out. And we usually do the opposite, when advising patients to eat healthy and avoid the fast food !!! I have tried to cook and make my own meal over the weekend, when there is more free time. Now, might be consider to do it during the weekday as well. Marinelle has also pointed out of eating much less portion, by sharing food with friends or family, and leave the table half-full, which is a practical way to do so. I would say...
 (Total 112 words)
Most of us loves fast food and dining out at restaurants I guess. Aside from it's fast, hassle free and accessible, you don't need to put so much effort in cooking. I've been a guilty consumer of this living my life in college, I use to eat all my meals everyday at fast food chains for almost 5 years until I passed my licensure examination. Breakfast-Dinner name it! However as I am practicing my profession a few years ago after college, I tend to realize that most of the patients we ...
 (Total 159 words)
Hi everyone! I agree that home-cooked meals are better in terms of nutritional quality and even taste. But not all of us live within the ideal setting. Just to add to what the article says. Aside from selecting the nutritional quality of the food, it is also important to consume only the right proportions. These fast food chains serve large servings to attract more customers. However, these servings often too large for what a person should consume. I think its practical to eat half the serving a...
 (Total 125 words)
Yes Tarah, would definitely agree that healthy lifestyle is a combination of both healthy diet and exercising. And there is always a healthy option of take away food, like a variety of salad box!!! But I believe that most people would turn into or crave to get the unhealthy, but tastier option of take away food, which can turn into a regular habit. Once we get into the habit getting take away food every day, then it will not easy to go back to kitchen to prepare some meal. I would concur prepari...
 (Total 125 words)
In my opinion, committing to a healthy lifestyle and exercising could actually lead a person to have healthier choices of food. Also, it is a discipline to stay healthy. I agree that cooking meals is the best way to ensure that you are getting the best nutrients and best taste too :) plus, preparing meals can help save money too. I also think that one of the factors that geared most people towards unhealthy food is stress which turned into cravings, that eventually developed into a regular eatin...
 (Total 89 words)
Due to increasing hectic working hours, especially among healthcare professionals, dining out or take-away or delivery food become a common daily activity that replacing home cook food. It is for sure more convenience and time saving for us who is leading a busy lifestyle. I believe that most of us will not have the energy to prepare for home cook dinner when we finish our work at around 7/8 pm. Hence, take away food from fast food chains or restaurants become a norm. But, as we all know, and as...
 (Total 150 words)