General
Drink water while eating to feel fuller quicker

Drink water while eating to feel fuller quicker

Shared by:

Drinking more water during meals leads to filling full sooner, scientists finally prove in a manuscript yet to be released. Presented in the 24th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Ingestive Behavior, the findings show how the stomach communicates with the brain during meals.

today.mims.com

17 Jul 2016 - General

Anyhow, drinking more water during meal time may help to achieve satiety with smaller portion of food during that particular meal. But we are not sure whether such strategy will reduce our total amount of food intake per day. It seems like is working for Marinelle. As Virgilio has pointed out, sometime thirst can be mistaken as hunger, so it is always a good idea to drink a cupful of water first. But, need to ensure is just a normal drinking water, not those unhealthy fizzy drinks!!!!Drinking ...
 (Total 120 words)
Yeah that's right. Once your stomach fills with a full glass of water, it empties sooner than when it's filled with a meal, followed by a rebound increase in hunger/appetite. That's the whole point of having a bowl of soup before a meal as an appetizer right? This is probably scientifically not correct, but as a saying we say that a bowl of soup stretches your stomach so it has more room for the main course that comes next. :D And we take a full glass of water first thing in the morn...
 (Total 113 words)
Yes Theekshana, a little sip of water probably won’t help much in reaching the satiety level for the stomach. 350ml during my meal is good enough, may it be possible to increase the volume of water intake and further reduce the meal intake (for those people that can tolerate that amount of water). Let say 500ml of water in total during the meal, maybe 150ml pre meal, and 350ml during meal, and I would say definitely the satiety level will reach with a small amount of food!!! It sound like anothe...
 (Total 135 words)
An interesting article, but I can't completely agree with it. I don't know if that is different for you guys but personally for me taking small sips of water while eating actualy helps me to eat a little bit more. Of course drinking a large glass of water with your meals can indeed fill your stomach and make you feel full. But when I am at a restaurant and there's a large bowl of food for me to finish I have found it helpful to eat little by little with small sips of water in between...
 (Total 108 words)
Hi Marinelle, yes it is indeed an interesting piece of research. I agree that feeling of satiety is a very subjective measurement they used in the study, and measuring the stomach size that is correlated with waist-hip ratio or body mass index will be a more objective measurement for the study. But, this is only a preliminary study of questioning whether drinking water while eating can make us feel fuller quicker. A lot of more researching work needs to be done to further explore this research q...
 (Total 125 words)
Hi You Yi! Sounds like a labor-intensive, well-funded research. Is this a landmark study that uses real-time imaging? Its good that they specified the amount of water that needs to be ingested. Just curious if the study population was homogenous in terms of indicators such as weight, BMI or waist-hip ratio. Since the subjective feeling of satiety is one of the endpoints of the study, I think the stomach size should also be taken into consideration. It would also be great if stomach size can be c...
 (Total 138 words)
It is very interesting to show that drinking more water during a meal will lead to filling full sooner, lower levels of hunger and higher levels of satiety. The study was able to demonstrate first ever real-time data for observing satiety as a function of water intake, showing consumption of water indeed ups satiety. Such a fascinating finding will be helpfully for those cohorts of people with increased body mass index or metabolic syndrome, that wish to lose some weight, and improved their diet...
 (Total 111 words)