General
The first ever dementia vaccine could be trialled in humans within 3 years

The first ever dementia vaccine could be trialled in humans within 3 years

Shared by:

Scientists working in the US and Australia have made progress on a vaccine candidate that could prevent and, in some cases, even reverse, the onset of dementia, Alzheimer's, and other related diseases. This could be a big deal in the treatment of...

www.sciencealert.com

17 Jul 2016 - General

That's one type of vaccine. It's not necessary to do that though; you can also simply use protein subunits of the targeted antigen to trigger an immune response.If I'm not mistaken, that's what the researchers are doing : taking subunits of beta-amyloid and tau, and injecting them into the bloodstream in order to trigger an immune response to both of the proteins. Our immune system will then produce antibodies targeting beta-amyloid and tau, which in turn marks those proteins for...
 (Total 86 words)
I am hopeful, but highly skeptic about the utility of these vaccines. First of all, they need to make sure that this vaccine can pass through the blood brain barrier, which means that this should be lipophilic. Honestly, I've never heard of a lipophilic vaccine. Second, if they can indeed make a vaccine that prevents beta amyloid deposition by targeting tau proteins, I wonder if microglial cells can efficiently remove its cellular garbage. Microglial cells are not as efficient as systemic im...
 (Total 132 words)
Looks like I am wrong about the fungi thing. I did a pubmed search on Alzheimer's disease and found that medicine had taken leaps ahead of me. he neuropathological features of the disease include senile plaques (SPs), neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) and neuronal loss in affected brain regions. The amyloid cascade hypothesis suggests that production and accumulation of excessive β-amyloid (Aβ) may be the main cause in the onset and progression of Alzheimer's disease. Active and passive imm...
 (Total 173 words)
I remember there was a research which showed fungi DNA in alzheimer disease brain, I cannot remember the source but i am certain it is a credible source. Anyone here read the article too. However, finding of fungi DNA does not shows the chronology of events as it may be that Alzheimer's brain is more predisposed to fungi growth. There was a time where physicians feel that Alzheimer may be a form of mould disease and as the brain turned mouldy, we lost our cognitive function. Any internal med...
 (Total 125 words)
Well, in my opinion we already have several drug classes that are fairly effective in delaying the progression of dementia. Risk factors for dementia are also being identified, so prevention of the disease can also be achieved to a certain extent. What poses the greatest challenge is reversing the disease process to bring a form of cure. And I think that is what this new drug is aiming at. Pharmaceutical companies have a big interest about diseases that are very common like dementia because thos...
 (Total 131 words)
I have my doubt with regards to this vaccine for dementia !!! It claims to be potentially biologically plausible by the antibody that targets specific proteins that acts as triggers for cell death in neurodegenerative disorders. Even though it is true, such an invention will have long way to go before proven to be any clinical benefit. I know dementia is a great target area for pharmaceutics company, as the potential can be huge !!! Currently, the treatment available for dementia is not particu...
 (Total 106 words)
A vaccine for dementia and Alzheimer's! Who would have thought! And if what they claim is to be true, we could possibly be prescribing it to patients in a couple years time. Traditionally, the term vaccination comes with prevention of infectious diseases. But this is a whole new application of vaccination to fight a non communicable disease that is near impossible to cure. The way I understand it, the vaccine has an antibody that targets specific proteins that acts as triggers for cell death...
 (Total 121 words)