General
How to stay healthy during air travel

How to stay healthy during air travel

Shared by:

With the abundance of cheap airfares nowadays, no wonder, everyone can pick a destination and fly wherever they wish to go. However, with cheap airfare comes the airlines’ pressure to also reduce their cost of flying. Cramped seats, where passengers may seem like sardines squeezed in cans, and poor air quality are just some of the consequences of the airlines’ cost-cutting, which can have negative and even fatal health effects on air passengers, especially those flying in economy class.

today.mims.com

18 Jul 2016 - General

Anti-histamines and decongestants can add to the dehydration you experience with air travel. Make sure you increase your water intake if you are taking these medications.A pilot will make the decision if the flight should be detoured, delayed or re-routed in the event of an emergency. It is not the decision of physicians, flight attendants, passengers, etc.No list can substitute common sense and advice from your physician.People with pedal edema may find flying extremely uncomfortable and danger...
 (Total 166 words)
Since we are at the topic of deep vein thrombosis, will like to ask a few questions. What is the rate of thromboembolism for deep vein thrombosis at and above the popliteal vein and below the popliteal vein? How do we consider who to anti-coagulate and who not to? If we are to anti-coagulate, do we chose dabigatran or warfarin? Last question, when do we offer patient insertion of inferior vena cava sieve? I used to remember all these but after all these years, my knowledge have already embolized...
 (Total 111 words)
Do not forget terrorists. Not getting on plane that's destined to crash on a skyscraper is very important for your health too so avoid terrorists at all costs! :D Jokes apart, deep vein thrombosis as a result of long haul air travel is not uncommon. DVT per se is not generally life threatening, but if the patient develops a complication like pulmonary embolism the situation might require the pilot to make an emergency lading. So measures to reduce the chance of developing DVT is very importa...
 (Total 107 words)
Thanks. When I was working in a vascular clinic, we see a lot of varicose vein and noticed a significant proportion of patients with varicose veins having deep vein thrombosis but no significant history of the classical calf pain, swelling etc. Basically thier deep vein and perforator veins valves were damaged by the thrombosis resulting in varicosities, Hence I presume the risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis is probably unrecognised. I find that budget airline has pretty roomy seats and those with the...
 (Total 182 words)
This article has adequately showing us some measures to be taken to protect our health while flying. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is the most dangerous complication of long haul flight, and the risk of having this condition will be increased in the cohort of passengers that have other risk factors for DVT as well. Ensuring sufficient mobilisation during long haul flight and wearing compression stocking can reduce the risk of DVT. Other recommended measures like keeping sufficient hydration, avoid...
 (Total 102 words)