General
Volunteer to enrich your healthcare career

Volunteer to enrich your healthcare career

Shared by:

Being in the healthcare industry is arduous work, and the toll of facing life and death situations on an everyday basis can be extremely stressful for doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and other allied healthcare professionals. Perhaps, a career break to do volunteer work could leave you feeling rejuvenated, with a “better” working self.

today.mims.com

18 Jul 2016 - General

During my student years, I had the chance of volunteering to various local organizations. These are blood drives, medical and dental missions, surgical missions and outreach programs. I learned a lot through these experiences and it gave me an opportunity to learn from patients even before I became a doctor. However, as I gained more experience in the medical field, I now have personal reservations when it comes to attending medical missions. In most medical missions that I have attended, usuall...
 (Total 189 words)
Aside from the usual medical outreach programs where I would give consults or do minor surgeries I recently helped out in a prosthetic limb project. Patients who are limbless bilateral or unilateral lower extremities or even upper extremities were rounded up to be given free prosthetic limbs. I played a minor part in this as most of the work was done by the Prosthetists and volunteers who were trained by them but I got the chance to measure limbs through stump casting, help fit the limbs on them...
 (Total 119 words)
When I was a 2nd year doctor, I was sent to Indonesia to help out for the tsunami rescue mission in Indonesia. The work was really hard without proper sanitation and living environment. the number of injuries and infectious I see a day is tremendous but somehow, It does not take a toll on me as much as working for money. You really feel pride and satisfied. However, it is hard to fanthom taking time off from my hectic work to volunteer for further medical work. In addition, Singapore man has t...
 (Total 162 words)
This is a field where every doctor would like to contribute. We were always a part of medical camps, school health checkups and speciality diagnostic camps while undergoing medical training and also as a part of practice even now. When you are a honorary consultant working as a freelancer in different hospitals, it is often a difficult task to take time for volunteer work. A prolonged period of absence beyond 10 to 15 days, often results in you missing out on a large number of patients which wou...
 (Total 184 words)
For me, volunteering as medical professionals started as early as the first year of medical school. Back then we did not have enough medical knowledge to give medical care to the sick, but we went to health camps organized by our seniors in rural villages. In my first visit the first years were tasked to do none medical stuff like arranging the lines, organizing supplies (drugs, food, stationary etc.) and cleaning. Things that any person could do. But we did put in our share of time and labour t...
 (Total 116 words)
Medical volunteerism takes a really large space in my core. We did not become health care professionals for the money. Sure we live good lives but if money was the main goal we would’ve gone into some form of business instead. I have very high regard for the doctors who dedicated their lives to working in Médecins Sans Frontières or what we popularly know as Doctor Without Borders. I watched a video made by them not so long ago where they talked about how they lost friends in their li...
 (Total 156 words)