General
FDA cautions against cryotherapy

FDA cautions against cryotherapy

Shared by:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warned consumers regarding the use of whole body cryotherapy (WBC) – an extreme cold “bath” – citing the therapy has no proven health benefits and on the contrary, might pose several complications.

today.mims.com

18 Jul 2016 - General

I have no exposure to Whole Body Cryotherapy because it is not very popular here in Manila. However, there's a cryotherapy machine that rehabilitation therapists use to alleviate pain. It's a portable machine that has a long tube that delivers cold air to a certain body part. I am not sure of the exact temperature it gives off but its definitely not as cold as WBC. Personally I have tried it for delayed onset muscle soreness. Treatment lasts for 30-45 minutes and it really provides pain ...
 (Total 112 words)
Medical community often faces such challenges from the advertising campaigns which will promise a lot of things which are seemingly impossible. As the healthcare industry becomes a business, such innovative techniques for difficult problems are going to emerge and they are going to be practised by unscrupulous doctors without robust evidence about their efficacy. A lot of alternative treatments exist in India for chronic ailments like rheumatoid arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome. I think ...
 (Total 141 words)
I did a search on pubmed and found a Cohrane review for whole body cryotherapy: Cochrane review titled: whole-body cryotherapy (extreme cold air exposure) for preventing and treating muscle soreness after exercise in adults. In summary, the body of evidence in this review does not support the hypothesis that whole body cryotherapy effectively reduces muscles soreness and or improves subjective recovery, after exercise in physically active young men. There is no evidence on its use in women or el...
 (Total 177 words)
Freezing temperatures send the body into a "survival mode," which causes blood supply to flow to the most vital organs to relay more oxygen and nutrients. Once you leave the cold environment, the enriched and less-toxic blood is flushed back into the rest of the body., and prolonged exposure to the low temperatures can result in frostbite and chilblains. Those who are pregnant or have high blood pressure are cautioned against the treatment. It definitely gives you a shock and an adrena...
 (Total 86 words)
Fat freezing has about 40% chance of losing abdominal fat abeit limited . Read a journal on it 2 years ago but did not delve too much into it. i use cryotherapy using liquid nitrogen a lot for pedunculated skin tag, genital warts, filiform warts and seborrheic keratosis. The basis is, the liquid nitrogen freeze up intracellular fluid causing formation of ice crystal which will puncture the cell wall resulting in cell rupture. This technique is marvellous for small pedunculated lesion using the f...
 (Total 112 words)
I was recently asked to write articles on health benefits of cryotherapy but I didn’t take the offer as I didn’t have time to do so and didn’t know much about this cryotherapy being a thing. I don't watch entertainment news all that much and was aware of the endorsement of cryotherapy by Floyd Mayweather and LeBron James. I wasn't aware that this treatment has become a big thing as I would hear more about the booming of stem cell therapy. Though there could be benefits with this therapy ...
 (Total 101 words)